Minimal/IDM album featuring Monomachine + ZOIA

I played a set last weekend using just the Monomachine, with ZOIA for effects. I multitracked it into my Zoom R16 (which also captured the room sound) so I could mix it nicely. Turns out I didn’t have to do too much to it, as simply separating the tracks did enough to give them some clarity.

I deliberately kept in the talking, because there’s some funny stuff in there :slight_smile: plus the room sound really adds to it, I think.

A guy came up to me afterwards and said some parts of the set were similar to Barker, which was a nice compliment!

10 Likes

Funky and monomachine as hell. love it.

1 Like

wow. love it also!

1 Like

Super nice ! Would tou care yo explain your setup and how you play live ? Is it one big Zoia patch ?

2 Likes

Thanks! The ZOIA is just for reverb, and some granular stuff on the first and last tracks. It’s pretty much set and forget, with the Monomachine sending patch changes to it so I don’t even have to touch it, apart from some buttons I set to enable send to reverb, grain freeze etc. I’ll eventually get more elaborate with it!

As for the Monomachine, it’s mostly either single patterns or simple chains for longer chord progressions. On most of the tracks, I’m either messing with the sounds, or changing the patterns on the fly, which is most evident in tracks 2 and 7, where the rhythms shift around. It’s the first time I’ve had the confidence to modify patterns live with Elektron gear, as it’s previously something I’ve only ever tried with nanoloop.

2 Likes

awesome. thanks for sharing!!!

Cool live set. Thanks for sharing. I was getting a weird sense of deja vú a bit further into the set. Eventually I figured out that you must’ve been using patterns from the tracks you did for the WATMnM comps. Anyways… good stuff.

Ah yeah, I did revisit both of those tracks :slight_smile:

And thanks!

1 Like