MegaCommand // MiniCommand Resurrection // MCLive

I don’t know beans about PCB design but OSH Park is one of those companies that I have heard of (no personal experience but read some good comments). https://oshpark.com

I’m not sure which video you are referring to, but you can use a midi splitter to send MIDI output from the MD to both the MC and External synth.

If you’re connecting in TURBO-MIDI mode it is not possible to use both the MC and sequence external gear.

However, the MegaCommand will feature dual MidiOutput ports and it will be possible to have one port functioning at Turbo Speed and the other at normal speed. Meaning you can connect at turbo and still send Midi notes to external gear.

3 Likes

I sold my minicommand because i was thinking it wasnt possible to use thé two together… What à shame…have to found another one now…

Board is almost done. Parts selection complete.

Looking at $100 worth of parts + arduino mega (or equivalent) + $20 to get the pcb printed.

I’ll do a final check over the weekend and then send it out for fab.

11 Likes

10 Likes

I still own it but rarely use it at the moment. I was kind of hoping for the joystick version to come out at some point to use with my MnM. But I’d surely give it a spin if there was a new firmware coming out! Love the thing!

Prototype PCBs are currently being fabricated. Will hopefully receive them within 7 days.

Prototype Eagle files and Gerbers:

This Repo will be updated as the design is finalised, including parts list and various other documentations.

9 Likes

PCBs arrived today :grinning:

9 Likes

:D/

nice going

What a time to be alive, thank you for taking on this project! Will hopefully have my duckets ready, Ha.

1 Like

Stack em, n pack em.

ArduinoMega plugged in to the MegaCommand shield.

Still waiting on more parts to verify the fit, but it’s looking good so far.

My guess is total assembly should take no more than 2-3 hours.

Once assembled I need to test each of the subsystems (LCD, KeyScanning, SRAM, SD MemoryCard, Midi)

Then modify the MIDICtrl framework to work with the ArudinoMega.

6 Likes

and Veets also has some fab content online

very keen to try out a MiniCommand, in particular, with the silent trigger exploit.

this means it may well be possible to have a type of “chromatic” up and down the keyboard for one sound, repitching before sounding via the MC.

1 Like

oh whoa, that’s completely beautiful as an object. i wonder, is it possible to sort out some see-through enclosure perhaps

edit - silly question, enclosures are already chosen.

whoa this is truly an exhilarating time for Elektron users.

LCD and SRAM tested and working correctly.

:sweat_smile:

10 Likes

KeyScan circuit is working. Meaning Encoders + Buttons are responding as expected.

I am still waiting on the DIN Midi connectors and the MicroSD card breakout board (the only surface mount component of the build).

When MIDI and SD Card are tested that will be the final check of the Hardware.

There are only 2 small issues with the PCB design so far, encoder mechanical stabilisers are too large for the current holes, Capacitors in bottom right corner need to be shifted as they are coming in contact with the arduino usb.

5 Likes

Final parts arrived today.

Good news. Everything should just fit in the original enclosure.

Bad news. Need to clip away excess material from the tops of the DIN ports to make it fit.

More bad news:

Might need to solder a ribbon cable to the LCD instead of using the dedicated pins.
Basically for most HD44780 LCD displays that are easy to purchase have the pin header in the top left.
This interferes with our DIN port placement. I thought we could get away with placing the DIN sockets over the pin solder of the LCD display, but we gain about 1-2mm in height at best if we do this, and can’t really spare the room.

If you look at the PCB layout i’ve included 2 PCB headers as I couldn’t think of an elegant solution.

3 Likes

despite the bad news this sounds great…
I really would want one of them… :slight_smile:

Im after it too!!

A friend just printed these for me

Small mistake in the print. the Midi ports should be on the opposite face, but this will give me a better idea of the fit.

2 Likes

3d printing for the win …
how would this transparent material work with your friend’s printer i wonder?
https://www.3dhubs.com/material-group/transparent-plastic