MegaCommand // MiniCommand Resurrection // MCLive

i will just be a happy camper if the hardware becomes available again!

Ooh I have a spare Mega here and am real curious to see what transpires.

So I underestimated the complexity of soldering up the IO/board and mechanical assembly of all the components.
Decided to learn Eagle and build a board up from scratch.

This is the MegaCommand arduino mega shield. Minicommand compatible hardware with through hole components.

I’d imagine this board will take a few more design iterations before it’s functional.

6 Likes

When these are ready, I’d be very interested in purchasing one from you.

Thank you for your brilliant work!

A post was split to a new topic: Sell - Ruin & Wesen MiniCommand

Rusty, I provided you with the code to do what you want to do here:

It does require effort on your part to get it working :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fuck me I’m getting old and forgetful… shall we do this again in a month or two? :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

Megacommand! Cool!

Is it possible to make more realtime controllers not just four knobs?

Megacommand project is on hold.

doh!

Just uploaded the MCL 2.0 + MidiCtrl20 source code to github.

https://github.com/jmamma/MCL_V2_0_0

https://github.com/jmamma/MidiCtrl20
(Not recommended for using outside of MCL at this stage)
Includes bug fixes and the improved interrupt code for connecting at a stable 8x Turbo speed.

4 Likes

So any updates on resurrecting the mini command?

1 Like

Well it turned out to be a hell of a lot of work.

I got as far as 95% completing the eagle circuit board layout and selecting for preliminary components both circuit components and purchasable shields (for LCD and MicroSD).

Prototype board would need to be printed and assembled. And tested. No idea if my design work, particularly the deviations from the original minicommand (necessary to interface with the mega command cpu).

I’d need to adapt the minicommand core/bootloader files for the MegaCommand and make necessary changes to the code based upon pin differences between the two boards and cpu models.

I had plans on using the exact same case, but then it occurred to me that the mechanical assembly would be a nightmare and my design probably wouldn’t fit. or if it did, would require specific sections for encoder shaft length and button height.

Then I took a step back, looked at the amount of time I was spending and how many people would actually use the project? Also, if the project was completed, someone would need to look after distribution of printed circuit boards, something I was not prepared to do.

So in short. a lot of time + work. Little reward. Though I’d still like to see the Minicommand remade.

9 Likes

welcome to the incredibly silly world of getting very deep into elektron related special projects :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

:heart: your work @JustinValer

What’s that all about then?

4 Likes

I’m definitely interested, I’m sure many others would be too :slight_smile:

I can’t remember if I have posted about this but as to distro of PCBs, short-run or even one-off PCB fab has gotten really affordable. So you could just post the Eagle assuming you were cool with that, and then others could get it fabbed. It would cost the fabbers a bit more but given the high cost of developer sanity it may be an overall savings.

1 Like

So i’ve started looking at my design again and I’m almost certain the mechanical assembly of all the components will work, and fit in the original case. The only downside is that we need to be a bit more picky with the tactile switch selection. Actually the original switches that Wesen selected are the right height for this application so I’ve just ordered a bunch.

Need to do a few more iterations on the eagle drawings, double check all the pin assignments.
Finalise part selection.

If anyone has experience with producing PCBs and wants to review my designs that could save us a lot of time/heartbreak.

1 Like

Hi a bit off topic, but looking at your vidéo Justin, am i right to think you use thé minicommand and thé tétra at thé same time?? I thought it wasnt possible, that thé mc needed all thé midi capabilities of thé MD to work, and so you cannot séquence à synth and use thé mc at thé same time… Is this wrong??? Thanks