MegaCommand // MiniCommand Resurrection // MCLive

Question for the MiniCommand heads as it’s been a while for me…

Anyone coded anything for Midi Clock Interrupt to handle stopping, loading, resyncing for slave devices?

I’ve got a need for this scenario, so might give it a go, just thought I’d check first with you cats.

Examples:

Mungo Sync2: http://mungo.com.au/sync2.html

TouchProOne: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Touchprone-Interrupt-Inline-Synced-MIDI-Start-Stop-/162014222558

1 Like

Yeah, MCLive uses the MidiClock heavily for synchronised tasks.

Here’s what you need to do to resync on the next bar (i.e. 16 x 16th notes).

void wait_then_sync() {
int offset = 0;
//Do nothing (greedily occupy the processor) until we reach the next 16th step.
while (((MidiClock.div32th_counter + offset) % (16 * 2)) != 0);

//Instruct the slave to stop and restart the sequencer.
MidiUart.putc_immediate(MIDI_STOP);
MidiUart.putc_immediate(MIDI_START);
}

Use the offset value to shift the phase back or forward if things are not syncing correctly.

You can also use the div96th counter which will provide you with the highest resolution for the clock.
The formula should be: (MidiClock.div96th_counter + offset) % (16 * 6) != 0

3 Likes

I owe you one :cookie:

Might have to bust out one of my MiniCommands and give that a go on on the weekend.

1 Like

I’ll probably start on a new boot loader soon for the MC with ability to load firmwares off the SD Card. That broken MC could come in handy :-).

1 Like

I’ve written a draft for a SimpleFS.

If it works as planned, you’ll be able to store up to 10,000 files.

Some trade offs:

No support for directories, but path names are 16 characters.
No support for file resize.

Space is allocated linearly and contiguous (block aligned). I’ve written it this way as a trade off between code size + complexity and disk space usage. Basically SDCard space is cheap and we have a lot of it. We don’t really need to worry about fragmentation and other issues that a complex filesystem would handle. That is overkill for our application.

We just need a way of opening/closing/creating/reading/writing and deleting files, all of which my code will perform simply.

3 Likes

Well… thats a pickle isn’t it…

Win7: Doesn’t recognise midi ports.
OSX: Does recognise midi ports, doesn’t send to I/O board.

Ah well, best figure this one out.

I’m running midi-ctrl0017 with TM-1 no problems on El Captain.

1 Like

Just nabbed midi-ctrl0017 off your site… guess I owe you :cookie::cookie:

1 Like

Demo videos are recorded and encoded. I’ll upload them tomorrow when I have access to high speed internet (yes I live in Australia).

Stay tuned.

3 Likes

Annotations included in the video above to explain what’s going on.

Video below is an extended performance. Quite rough but should give you a good idea of what the firmware is capable of.

7 Likes

Those are some nice sounds; do you have a release out somewhere?

http://www.valerrecords.com/store/index.html?p=bestofthree.html

Looking good, I did not manage to see the annotations on the first vid but maybe that’s because I was watching on a tablet? I could vaguely understand what was going on though, apart from when you were pointing at the MD screen… the drum trig interface for the mixer page looks very cool.

1 Like

Youtube annotations should be visible from a browser, they may be disabled by default on your tablet?

Apologies for the lack of visibility on the MD screen, it looked better when I was recording. I only point to the MD screen to indicate that there is a pattern change occurring as scheduled by the MiniCommand.

The drum/trig interface is used on all the pages. It looks and feels seamless even though there’s quite a bit of trickery going on the background to make it happen :slight_smile:

No releases in the style you hear in the video. Honestly, I became jaded with 4/floor electronic music over the last few years. The Best Of 3 EP was an escape from that environment.

Getting back in to techno again obviously (from a production/performance standpoint), we’ll see what happens over the next few months. Sound design is on point, mostly stemming from the work I did on the MD808 and MD909 kits.
It’s a good base for creating something new.

1 Like

Annotations only work in a “desktop browser”. They aren’t visible at all on an iPhone, iPad, or any Android device, no matter if you view the video in a browser or in the native YouTube app.

Sigh… they work on my iPad.

Really like what I’m hearing there; do let us know when something is out.

Ah, sorry for assuming wrong in that regard. I am currently on vacation and I couldn’t get it to work on my iPhone and I couldn’t get it to work on my backup Android phone.

Yeah not working on the iPhone. Oh well :slight_smile: