Miles Kvndra musics and tutorials almost Digitone only

Hi fellow Elektronauts, I made a new sketch with the Digi combo and the Microcosm which was great fun. This one is getting a little bit glitchy using the Digitone’s LFOs and the Microcosm’s interrupt mode together - a lot of fun! I’m trying to walk you through everything that’s happening - let me know what you think! :slight_smile:

These sketches are recorded into Ableton, no further processing apart from bringing the volume up with a limiter.

Have a great day,
Miles

5 Likes

Hey Elektronauts, here comes another sketch from the Digi combo and the Microcosm: I’m still experimenting a lot with glitch on the Microcosm and it goes so well together with the Digitone. The different modes of the Microcosm add so many different flavours to the Digitone’s sounds and I love that! :green_heart: What do you think?

Wishing you all a great day out there,
Miles

4 Likes

Hey Elektronauts,
I’ve been writing a lot of music recently and often ran into the problem that I had one pattern/loop that I really liked but didn’t know how to proceed from there. So in this video I want to share 6 tips that really helped me to escape the loop and to continue building different patterns to use in a jam/song with the Digitone and Digitakt combo.

Hope this is useful for you and your feedback is highly appreciated!

Cheers and have a great week,
Miles

14 Likes

Thank you for this great contents

1 Like

Hey @unbesbai, you’re welcome! Super happy to hear that people dig the content - best motivation! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fantastic stuff. Well produced, very informative and also you’re a highly skilled musician, so it’s not just random anxious YouFlu advice, but pro stuff from a pro guy.

My main struggle with proceeding from a pattern to a song on the Digitakt (or the Digitone, if I’d had one) is not so much the above. Those tricks, I employ frequently. It’s more a matter of the consistency of the mix between the patterns.

If I got four patterns going with variations applied like the above, and I find that the bass isn’t working in the mix, I tweak it on pattern01. And then, I need to make that adjustment on the other patterns as well. And that lack of coherence between the patterns is what’s stopping me. The Rytm and A4 resolve this by the kit system, and the Octatrack with the Parts system. The Deluge has its patch system. The Blackbox also, a patch system. Literally, any modern groove box has a solution for this. But not these two boxes of awesome.

I can use Copy Sound to maintain this consistency over the patterns, but it’s a workflow killer for me, not in the least because I know this isn’t really a problem to fix, it’s just one Elektron has decided isn’t important for these machines. Which I totally respect. But nevertheless, it’s one of two major things that hold me back from engaging deeper with the Tone and Takt.

5 Likes

The music you use to demonstrate your tips in the video really sounds gorgeous, really, really well done :+1:

Let us know when the track is released!

2 Likes

Hey @circuitghost, thanks a bunch for the feedback, really appreciate that! And can totally understand your point, as I struggle with this a lot too. I’m switching between patterns to check if the consistency is given and everything is working in the mix. Definitely a lot of going back and forth which eats up a lot of time.

I also started to think about a bigger liveset where I combine several jam and here this gets even more tricky. Checking consistency of all the jams in terms of loudness and balance in the frequency spectrum is really tough. I haven’t found the holy grail here yet except from copy/pasting combined with continuously checking different patterns. One advantage of this, however, is that I really train myself to trust my ears and don’t rely on numbers written on the screen. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much, @rtme! Will definitely do that, the new jam will be out in about 1 1/2 weeks. :slight_smile:

Yes, and it does bring the benefit that you can look at song writing in a slightly different way. Instead of each pattern being part of a consistent longer track, each pattern could provide variations not only in structure but in mix as well, belonging to the same family but still its own thing, though clearly similar to the neighbouring patterns.

I’m toying with this approach now, to sort of just surrender to the fact that song mode or kits won’t ever happen in the Digis, and instead explore that and see how it influences my song writing. Not even try to create a string of patterns that are different versions of each other, but look at each pattern as its own song, albeit very brief, but part of a larger section where general sound and voice is what unites the work.

1 Like

I came across Miles live performances some time ago. It was an instant bookmark. Many thanks for taking time and sharing your creations/knowledege with the world.

1 Like

That’s a great thought. I think the lack of song mode is of course annoying but on the other hand forces you to create music with the Digi combo with more of a live approach. I’ve been doing a lot of music in Ableton before (and sure will do that again some time) but I just love the pattern based songwriting on the Digis. Let me know how this approach works for you!

1 Like

Many thanks for the kind words, @infekted! That is awesome feedback and very motivating to keep everything up. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi fellow Elektronauts,
I want to share my fifth Digitone & Digitakt jam which is also released as my new song “Melting” on Bandcamp! The song is part of the “Elements Vol. 1” compilation of the label Petite Victory Collective and I brought in some Ice samples here and there - hope you dig it! @rtme: That’s btw the jam from the tutorial that you wanted to know about. :slight_smile:

Audio-Routing: Digitone → Microcosm → Digitakt → Olympus LS-5 (mobile recorder). The final recording was mastered by my friend Dan Fur.

Have a great weekend y’all,
Miles

8 Likes

@MilesKvndra A bit late, but thank you for sharing this. I’ve listened to it a few times today and I really was enjoying it. Keep us posted with new stuff here when you have some!

2 Likes

Hey @rtme, thanks a bunch for this feedback! Really happy that you enjoyed the track, that’s great! Will definitely do that, currently planning a new tutorial on the Digitone that I’ll post here once it’s ready. Have a great weekend! :slight_smile:

What a great start of a day. Thank you for sharing another quality piece of music.

1 Like

That’s awesome to hear, @infekted! Wishing you a great day out there :raised_hands:t2:

Hi Miles!

Great music!
Quick question: do you keep the DN and DT patterns in sync automatically? It seems that when you are going from pattern 1 to 2 in the DT the DN follows…

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @alailama, Thanks a bunch for the nice feedback! :slight_smile: Yes exactly, the Digitakt is sending pattern changes via MIDI and the Digitone is following these. So whenever I change I change a pattern on the DT, the DN follows that.

1 Like