Miles Kvndra musics and tutorials almost Digitone only

Hey Fac, thanks for that! That’s definitely an interesting topic I’ll have a deeper look into - thanks for pointing me there! :slight_smile:

Hey Elektronauts,

I made a new video talking about why the Digitone in my eyes is a great standalone synthesizer, pointing out 6 things I like about it and in the end some downsides too. I’ve used the device for quite some time now and had a lot of fun making standalone jams with it. However, I’ve also faced some limitations that need to be considered when making Digitone only music.

What is your opinion on this? Do you think the Digitone works good as a standalone synth? Happy to hear some other thoughts on that as well.

Enjoy your weekend,
Miles

4 Likes

Hey Elektronauts,

I’m starting a new tutorial series on the Digitone + Digitakt combo and just dropped the first video, covering my general setup and thoughts on how I use the Digi combo for electronic music/techno jams. I’ll also have a look at the global effects and compressor settings that I use. Hope this is useful for you and your feedback on improvements of the workflow is highly appreciated, as I still have some settings (especially on the DT) where I feel that I’m not fully there yet.

Thanks and enjoy your weekend everyone,
Miles

8 Likes

Your music soooo cool) thx for your videos!

ps I have both DT and DN but I’m noobie. Your tutorials and sound make me spent much time on DT n DN)

1 Like

Hey man, I’m so happy to hear that and thanks for letting me know! I try to make my videos helpful and insightful for other synth heads and hearing that this seems to work out is honestly the best thing! Huge thanks! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi Elektronauts,

I just released the 2nd video of my tutorial series on the Digitone + Digitakt combo. This one covers the general track structure and takes an in depth look on what’s going on in the sequencers in all 12 tracks available with the combo. It’s a bit long, so feel free to use the timestamps to jump to the parts you’re particularly interested in.

Hope this is useful for you and your feedback on improvements of the workflow is highly appreciated, as I still have the feeling that I’m not fully there yet.

Have a lovely weekend y’all,
Miles

2 Likes

Hi friends, here comes my first Techno Sketch! The idea is to show in these short videos different stages in the process while I’m working on a new jam. This first sketch here is a very basic idea (only 1 pattern and three tracks on the Digitone are still empty) but the idea is to move on from here. Think I’ll add some arps on the empty Digitone tracks.

These sketches are recorded into Ableton, no further processing apart from bringing the volume up with a limiter.

Have a great Sunday! :slight_smile:

Miles

2 Likes

Your “very basic idea” sounds better (and more complete) than 100% of the stuff I ever made - am I a joke to you??? :grinning:

Looking forward seeing your finished liveset - live, in person!

3 Likes

true story

2 Likes

Haha cheers Pete! :grin: To be fair I recorded three tracks on the OP-1 before I sampled it into the Digitakt, so it’s maybe not so basic anymore. Playing a liveset with the Digi combo would be awesome!!

Hi Elektronauts,

I made another sketch with the Digi combo, adding more elements to the jam. This time I especially made use of all the Digitone tracks and also included a new pattern, trying to walk you through everything that’s happening. :slight_smile:

I shot this one before the new update was released, so this is still the older firmware on the Digitakt. The sketches are recorded straight into Ableton, no further processing apart from bringing the volume up with a limiter.

Have a great Sunday y’all,

Miles

5 Likes

I just love the way you think through how to control patterns in a musically meaningful way and keep everything so organized. You’re truly a treasure for anyone who wants to learn their boxes better.

4 Likes

Hey raku, thanks a bunch for that great feedback! Means a lot to hear that people experience it like that and can get some inspiration from the videos. Cheers!

2 Likes

Great video again! Always learning a lot - one of the best Digi videoseries out there!

2 Likes

Cheers Pete! I’m really happy to hear that and so cool that you can take something away from it!

Just chiming in to say thanks so much for sharing your process with us. I’m also using DT/DN (+OT) and you really inspired me with a few of your organizational tools - muting the DN from the DT, the way your organize your patterns by ‘energy level’ and transitions, the fill tricks etc.

Mostly my takeaway is that i should find a workflow I can stick to consistently across my tracks, and dedicate the time reorganizing patterns and tracks to know where everything is in the heat of playing!

2 Likes

Hey, thank you so much for your nice message - I’m always super happy when I hear that my content inspires other people and their music! I myself learned a lot from people like Ivar Tryti (have to give him credit for all the muting on the DT, I’ve got that from him) and it’s great to hear that people can take something away! :slight_smile:

And yeah, having a consistent workflow is super helpful (at least for me). This gives me a structure to work with and in which I still have room to try out new things (like for example in this jam to sample melodic parts from the OP-1). I really like that.
Cheers again!

2 Likes

Hey Elektronauts,

I just released the 3rd video of my tutorial series on the Digitone + Digitakt combo. This video is all about live performance techniques using the Digi combo, some techniques are more basic, some are more advanced.

Hope this is useful for you and your feedback is highly appreciated!

Have a lovely weekend y’all,
Miles

3 Likes

Hi Elektronauts, I recorded a new Digitone & Digitakt jam and looking forward to your feedback! This one is a little different because I also included the Microcosm and really like how this turned out. :slight_smile:

Audio-Routing: Digitone → Microcosm → Digitakt → Olympus LS-5 (mobile recorder). Some fine tuning in iZotope Ozone and we’re good to go!

Happy to hear your thoughts and have a great week y’all,
Miles

3 Likes

Elektron God Mode !

1 Like