Mientras dormías - Felt piano and electronics

Mientras dormías. Setting felt between the strings and the hammers, the piano sound is transformed with a new muted sonority, with which sometimes is difficult to play because a lot of notes almost disappear like a whisper and unexpected sounds get into the mics, like the touch of the fingers with the keys, the move of the pedals or any other sounds from the room. But I think it’s totally worth it, because that sound is intimate, very nice and it is another way of making music with this wonderful instrument that is the piano.
Besides the piano, I also use Compass, a virtual tape that moves automatically and reproduces the piano (I record it at the beginning of the track) at different speeds, changing direction towards and backwards independently for every L and R channel, jumping to another point of the tape,…everything in a semi-random way. It is like playing with a virtual partner that brings you back and in the most strange way the phrases you play.
And my beloved Deluge, that though it doesn´t have sensible pads, gives me a very expressive sound that I cannot miss in every track. The Boards of Deluge pack is from another planet.

5 Likes

:sunglasses: lovely

1 Like

So relaxing and beautiful. Piano sounds awesome :heart::+1:

1 Like

Thanks! Piano was recorded in an ortf config with a pair of MXL603s, then through my RME FF400 soundcard preamps. A touch of Valhalla Vintageverb was also added.
I think the piano is not perfectly tuned. I myself tune it every few weeks, but I only tune the 5-6 notes I think are needed. I am not a professional turner. There are a few notes that resonate more than the others, making strange harmonics. For example when I play the right pedal and some F. I try to avoid it bit it’s not easy.

1 Like