Midiphy LoopA

Hi,

the midiphy LoopA has been around for a while, it just received a new song mode firmware update, so i created a separate discussion topic for it - hope that is ok :).

Here’s Loopop’s original review:

And here’s the new song mode tutorial:

It is available as a full DIY kit on midiphy.com:
midiphy LoopA v2 - MIDI Looper - Requantizing Sequencer - MIDI DIY

Best regards and enjoy!
Peter

5 Likes

Impressive update. I was on the fence between Rk-008 and LoopA for a bit but this probably swings it. Since there’s so many “transforms” available now to apply to tracks, is there a way to define and apply specific output/channel/cc curves between song rows (sorry, didn’t catch what song steps were called). My intention is to better apply transitions (e.g. filter sweeps) like the volume ramp but customisable, without copying patterns.

The RK-008 comparison prompts me to ask: Is the midi channel assignment something that applies at the level of the clip, or at the level of the notes recorded into the clip. That is, can you have a clip with a second instrument (on another channel) overdubbed on to it ?

EDIT: Ah, I see from the manual it’s a track-level choice.

@mongrol thanks! Good idea with a new ramp function for CCs when changing from one song mode pattern to the next - added to the dev wishlist for a future software release.

@bibenu that’s correct! A track is always associated with an optional user instrument name, a MIDI port and a (single) MIDI channel. Within a session, each track holds up to six scenes (clip variations, e.g. of a drum sequence). MIDI Ports can be the physical MIDI ports or one of the four virtual USB MIDI ports that are available when LoopA is connected to a computer via USB; there’s also an extensive 16-node MIDI routing capability between all MIDI interfaces.

Here’s a short live demo of LoopA’s new song mode in conjunction with a C64 SID synthesizer:

Best regards,
Peter

3 Likes

Interesting! Can this handle MPE midi data?

MPE is on the development list for a future LoopA software update, for now LoopA is polyphonic unquantized MIDI notes (can be quantized or requantized at any time e.g. to classic “step sequencer” steps) and high-res CC recording only.

Best regards,
Peter

1 Like

Damn that matrix looks fun to sequence on! Huge!

1 Like

Thanks, Karl!