MIDI USB Question!

I’m absolutely sure it works… I’d call it a fact and not just an idea…
Of course test away if you want… :grin:

1 Like

Sure, but that’s just gilding the lily - simple MIDI cables are sufficient for the task. I’m not going to bring up the age old ‘with the cost of the device, it’s not unreasonable to expect to have X feature’ trope.

MPC Live has two USB host ports, and there are a couple other devices out there which have at least one, I can’t remember the names at the moment though.

I wish they were more common, as there are so many great controllers out there that only support USB-MIDI. I’m surprised Elektron haven’t jumped on it yet…

2 Likes

Just to be clear I’m not gilding any lilies… :grin: I’m just explaining how usb works according to spec. Elektron gear are categorized as “usb devices” and not hosts. In order to connect two together by usb one would have to be a host or have a toggle or software that allows it to change into host mode, which would be advertised and in the manual…

I know you’re not, I was referring to the idea of using a MIDI/ USB host to connect the two devices when a simple MIDI cable would do the job just as well.
As I said, what you (and I?) have highlighted about Elektron devices not being hosts makes sense, although I admit to being over optimistic when considering the opportunity that setting ‘Input from’ and ‘Output to’ to ‘MIDI+USB’ might have worked.
Oh well.

1 Like

It helps in some case for example both units connected to a computer by usb. In that scenario it allows both devices to pass midi to and receive from a daw, and each device to pass midi back and forth from each other when routed accordingly from the DAW. The midi dins are still open to for example still sequence a din device from DT and have AR perhaps being sequenced from an OT which is din only, or other various scenarios…

1 Like

I don’t work with a DAW, but that’s very helpful to know and I can see it having many benefits, thanks for pointing it out.

1 Like

Use a raspberry Pi and a Blokas PiSound

No. Not just oerbridge and transfer,
USB is also midi as @Open_Mike say.
I use old laptop with low latency linux,
run free daw Rosegarden(has midi routing menu)
Usb akai keyboard into laptop, usb out into Digitakt.
Music Plays.

It is free, easy and you need no coding to get works.
All needed is computer, (or old laptop like me), or raspberry
pi or any old piece shit that run linux.
Can use same to route Ar to Dt…

2 Likes

I’m not so sure as I haven’t tried yet and I am off on holiday the day after tomorrow. If I have time tomorrow Ill give it a shot.
I think that having the Digitakt go through the MPC via USB would work.
Route your synth into the MPC on its channel like so…
Model D Midi Channel 6. The open up your channel strip and go to ports change from All Ports to Digitakt channel 1 (which should be (I’m thinking) Midi channel A on the Takt.
Now you can use the Digitakt as a controller, using its sequencing magick inside the MPC.

This part I am clutching at straws) But!
I think…
If you want to use say a Keystep pro to enter notes you keep the port set to All Ports, Then the Keystep would work alongside the Digitakt (just not sure you’d be able to use trig locks or parametre locks in this way though…

It is something that I have been wanting to explore, and had the plan to do so after my return from Laos in a couple of weeks.

So if not tomorrow then in two weeks time…