Midi USB/Din Question

Hi there folks, I am using a USB Midi to CV onvertor with my Digitakt and am thinking about getting a little midi controller to send some extra CCs to USB midi to CV converter so things can be a little more hands on. I wondered, If I had a midi controller sending in CCs to the Digitakt via the Midi Din Input, would they come through the USB midi output and pass thru to the USB midi to CV converter? Does that make sense? Thanks!

If you are trying to control the CV with digitakts midi channels yes, otherwise i believe not.

So if you just set the midicontroller to the miditracks on the digitakt it will then keep forwarding the midi as before. If you try to use it as an actual midi through I am doubtful it would work. Could be wrong ofcourse, haven’t tried myself.

Good luck!

1 Like

Word, thanks for the heads up! Yeah what I am looking to do is send in midi which is on the same channels as the Digitakt Midi Channels and so am hoping this will be passed thru to USB? Anyone out there with any experience of this? Cheers!

There is no soft thru to USB on any Elektron - the two MIDI busses are separate - things can happen concurrently on both, but they’re not connected or connectable in the way you want as mentioned above

1 Like

Any ideas how I could merge the USB midi with the midi Thru? Cheers…

To repeat what already @avantronica wrote: there is no connection between USB midi and DIN midi within the Digitakt (and all other Elektron devices).

To merge USB midi with DIN midi you need to do it outside of the Digitakt, for example with a merger box with supports both USB midi and DIN midi.

But this hybrid merger boxes aren’t cheap.

2 Likes

Brilliant folks, thanks so much for this!