MIDI TRACKS Sequencing internal Samples

Hi Everyone,
Still figuring out a way to use the Digitakt with My Setup before Spending Money in one…
Is it Possible to create MIDI Patterns that could sequence Samples in the Audio Tracks/Trigs?

The Idea is to Use the Digitakt Kind Like an Arranger, connected to a MIDI Keyboard.
In this Way One could Create Zones in the MIDI KB to Trigger Samples, (or Groups of Samples) in Stop Mode, ordered in a Particular way.

I Know this isn’t the Way Digitakt was Built for, the idea is to press Play, but it Would Be a Wonderful Feature for Playing Live with my Band!

Yes you can. Just connect the midi out to the midi in. You can sequence, use trigless trigs or use the lfo’s from the midi tracks and assign them to different audio tracks, or all 8 to one audio track giving you 9 lfo’s for that one track.

3 Likes

So, this Means that I Need to Buy a MIDI Merger Adapter, in Order to Use the MIDI KB, and connect the Digitakt’s MIDI OUT Also in the MIDI IN?
That’s Strange, but if it Works like that in Stop Mode, Sounds Amazing For Me!

Thank You Very Much for your Reply, For Sharing Your Knowledge!

If I’m not mistaken midi notes going out also go out on the thru port. So you can connect other gear you need to sequence to the thru port and daisy chain from there, if your synth have enough ports that is. Else you’d need a break out box or something like it.

Generally MIDI THRU sends all midi data received into the same devices’ MIDI IN, to clarify it isn’t a duplicate of the data being outputted via MIDI OUT

2 Likes

Exactly. The Only Possible way is to Connect the KB MIDI OUT to a Merger with 2 MIDI INS, in Order to Send the Digitakt’s Also MIDI OUT To the Merger, and the Merger’s MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN, in Digitakt.

This is Very Odd, it looks even a Bit Dangerous for the amount of Data that will be cyclic…

Anyone tried this Before?

…maybe you can get some ideas from this special setup

4 Likes

It’s Very Hard To Read What You’re Saying When You Capitalise Every Word.

Why not use a break out box giving your multimidi ports? Nothing dangerous about it.

1 Like

Tried this last night… amazingly cool but not recommended until midi is stable!

2 Likes

Amazing!!

It Might Be Possible to do this without the sequencer Running, Right?
And a Merger is Needed to create Zones and use this feature with a MIDI Keyboard.

Thank You!

1 Like

Sorry for that, it’s an OCD Kind of Thing…:sweat:

No worries! I think you’ll be fine with some kind of midi box that gives you more routing options. Maybe Elektron could add some internal midi or midi loopback but I don’t think they will do that.

1 Like

Yeah, that would be Nice!
If the MIDI tracks also receive midi notes like Audio Trigs do, with a MIDI KB, then The Digitakt Will be everything that I need to complete my setup!

Maybe it’s too early over hear but I’m having a hard time trying to tell what you want to do. Your title suggests you want to sequence audio tracks from midi tracks which is possible, but then you mention you want the sequencer stopped. Nothing will be sequenced if the sequencer is not going…
What is it that you expect to happen when you press a key on your midi keyboard?
The samples can be triggered or played chromatically from the keyboard alone, what are the midi tracks doing with sequencer stopped, and how does that relate back to the keyboard and audio tracks?

I understand that it’s a bit hard to explain it, hence The Digitakt is meant to Be used by pressing The Play button, but I normally play a Miniak with MIDI sequences written on it to play arpeggios in a M-Audio Venom.

The idea is to use Digitakt like an arranger keyboard does, there’s no need to push a Play Button, and The Wonderful thing about this method is that One can play different parts of a song immediately and a chorus might loop indefinitely and suddenly the intro might be playing, then the chorus again… only for adjustments with a band, without the need of stopping, selecting the part and play again.

Does it make sense?

If you’re using the internal sequencer with Play button pressed, sometimes it is hard to play from a specific bar. There’s a need to wait for that part in a long sequence, and the inspiration is Lost.

Beg your Pardon for my Strange English! :neutral_face:

It might be one Sample stored in a Trig (and that’s easy, there’s no need to have the sequencer playing), or more than one in a Specific point of a Bar. But if we can define a MIDI pattern that will be triggered by pressing a note in a Keyboard, it would be better. With The Digitakt is possible to have a MIDI track with 4 notes, right?

Does this feature only works if the Sequencer is running?

The tracks won’t play without the sequencer going…

1 Like

Sorry, I’m still a bit confused… Are your midi patterns coming from an external device or do you want to start DT midi tracks just by pressing a note?
And if the latter why are we trying to start the midi tracks instead of the audio tracks?

1 Like

You’re right.
If it’s possible to specify the keyboard range in the Digitakt, addressing a Note in a Particular Octave to a Specific Trig, there’s actually no need to use the MIDI Tracks, I can work around with that method and Play Long Resampled patterns made in the DT.

We can Specify the Keyboard Range, Like Trig 1 in C#1, Trig 2 in B5, Trig 3 in D4, etc, Right?

From what I’ve gathered it seems you would like to trigger tracks to play on DT using an external keyboard, independent from each other and without sequencer going?
I do not think this is possible with the DT…
I think this is possible with OT and its “plays free” tracks which run independent from the sequencer and I believe can be triggered by midi, I have not done this though so would need confirmation that it works…