Midi thru with A4?

Hi,
I wanted to ask something about midi thru with the A4. After many years I got back to using an old midi keyboard that doesn’t have usb midi. I want to play softsynths on my laptop with it but don’t want to buy a midi interface (if not necessary). So is it possible to connect my keyboard to the midi in port of the A4 and then route the midi signal to the computer via usb? Or will it affect the tracks of the A4?
Would be cool if that works.

Best,
L.

Unfortunately I don’t think you can use the USB port as a midi thru, only thru functionality is midi-in->midi-thru. There are some cheap single cable type midi-din to USB adapters out there…

1 Like

Thanks, need to think about an adapter then…

1 Like

I have the following setup: A4 MK II is (clock) master sends midi clock to Digitone and Digitakt.

I use a midi keyboard into A4 Midi in and i‘m - of course- able to play the internal tracks of the A4.But i want to be able to play i.e. the digitone from the midi keyboard as well (record into the sequencer to be precise) but the A4 does not send the keyboard action to it‘s midi out.Is there a hidden option or workarround/hack to make this possible?

could be possible with multimap… have a look into it! you could specify a channel, that goes out on a midi channel again, i think…

or:
are you using song mode on a4? maybe also consider changing the midi chain. for example:
midi keyboard > dt > dn > a4
this way you could play/sequence all boxes from one midi keyboard (dn and dt offer „midi thru“ on their midi tracks, if the track is selected)

also you could send midi cc from dt or dn to a4 (automate the perf macros? :slight_smile:)

edit: search for: dn dt keystep on this forum, lots of info about this!

2 Likes