MIDI sync OT and KeystepPro

Trying to figure out witch machine should be the master sync. From an operational point I would prefer the OT to sync to the KeystepPro.
I’m just a little confused on all the MIDI settings on the OT . I’m not trying to control the OT from the KeystepPro, just want them to play in sync. It seems that the OT starts a beat late when I hit play on the KeystepPro. The key step is also sending clock to my Drumbrute. Again the Drumbrute is not getting any MIDI input just clock from the KSP (over 3.5mm TRS sync cable).

Helllo @erlin

It is often said here that the OT does best as master, so consider that i suppose.

I have had a weird one-beat-off thing with OT as well. It occurred when i was sending a midi foot controller MIDI out (that can also send clock info) going into a midi quadra thru then the thru out into OT (as well as other devices).

I could not find a solution until i changed my midi routing config….entirely removing the quadra thru in the process. I do not know if the quadra thru was the prob, but it went away with a different routing scheme that didnt include it.

I’m pretty sure there was something on here about midi foot switches and one beat off issues…. A thread about midi controllers for OT and a Morningstar user I think…. I’ll have a look in my bookmarks and link to it if I can.

Edit: found it. I think this might solve @sjvl issue, but not the OP. sorry

1 Like

Just going to throw in a vote for keystep as the master, I do this a lot and it’s quite fun for improvising since adjusting tempo on keystep is more satisfying to me (knob vs. encoder). I run midi through to whatever I’m sequencing w/ keystep, so the tempo division knob is still in play, so going halftime or double time against whatever else is going on is fun and easy too.

2 Likes

So you are clocking the OT to the KeystepPro without any problems then!?

Yes.

Two caveats:

1. I have keystep not keysteppro

2. At the moment OT isn’t plugged in, but I am running keystep sending midi clock to M:C and through to downstream synths. I address synths on different midi channels, using M:C auto channel to set notes on M:C trigs.

But yes, keystep master clock is super-fun for improvisation.

Ok It looks like all is working after a reboot of everything. Thanks for the feedback.
Now all I need to do is learn how to use the OT lol

3 Likes