Midi start message to DT is delayed

Hi,
Having trouble sending midi start messages to my Digitakt.
I’m using a pedal sync one trick pony start/stop pedal into the digitakt directly with a standard midi cable.
The stop messages stop the sequence on the digital immediately but for some reason the start message takes like 30 seconds to activate the sequence.
Running 1.04 on DT

Any advice??

Consider upgrading firmware. 1.04 was kind of a mess midi wise.

1 Like

Am I correct in thinking that that pedal sends just the System Real-Time Start and Stop MIDI commands, but no MIDI Clock? If so, this isn’t likely to work for you:

In MIDI, the Stop command stops the sequencer immediately, but Start just gets the sequencer ready to play. It doesn’t start playing until the next Clock command - and at the tempo of the received clocks. But there are no clocks here, so, at least according to the spec, the sequencer should never start.

That the DT starts at all is probably due to some timeout somewhere inside: Not having received a Clock message in over 30 seconds puts the tempo slower the 0.08 BPM!

That this pedal works with any other devices is a bit surprising… because for it to work the device must be slave sync’d to the pedal (for Start and Stop commands to have effect), but not slave sync’d to the pedal for tempo (since it doesn’t send Clock commands). I don’t know of any devices that support such a mixed slave sync mode.

In any event, do please upgrade to the latest firmware. Many issues have been fixed since 1.04.

2 Likes

Really good info thank you. Yes an update is in order. What’s strange is it works on the sequencer of my bolsa bass synth’s sequencer with no delay.
Thank you for your info!

This

1 Like

Maybe the bolsa has separate receive clock/receive transport? On the DT they are tied together…
Like Mzero says if a device is set to receive clock and transport and it gets transport and no clock, it usually will wait for clock and then time out and not do anything…

If a device has separate receive clock/receive transport and just set to receive transport, it may start with just transport and run at its set bpm…