MIDI sequence weirdness

I’ve recently picked up a Digitakt to accompany my Digitone and Syntakt. I’m in the process of rebuilding the patterns that I’d built on the digitone on the Digitakt midi tracks.

For some reason I seem to be getting occasional extra notes playing. I’ve tried different tracks and different midi channels to make sure it’s not isolated to one. No difference. I’ve tried sending data directly to the digitone and also chained via the midi thru on the Syntakt. No difference.

Any ideas?

Hey, I really have no idea based on the available information but just to make troubleshooting easier, can you be specific about the notes you’re hearing? Does it sound like double trigging where the same note will play twice? Is it random notes playing at random times? In the sequencer, you can see that there’s only one trig enabled at the time of these note events? Any other information you think might be relevant like other weird symptoms? Is it only in one single pattern on one single project?

Logic would dictate that if it’s only one project, especially if it’s only one pattern, that it’s human error but that’s not always the case. If you do see it happening at the same fixed interval every time, check things like the random probability and make sure that you don’t have a percentage or an “out of” enabled that could be throwing in a conditional random note.

Aside from that I just don’t know what to guess with the available information but if you give a few more details maybe someone more qualified (or myself, despite lacking qualifications) can puzzle it out.

@shigginpit you make my tech support heart warm with love

1 Like

parmesan for the course.

Cheers for your reply.

There seems to be a number of things going on.

1. The pitch of notes being played appears to be modulating when they shouldn’t. The same sequence can play through multiple times and sound different each time (which isn’t how it’s programmed.

2. Some notes appear to be retriggering and sounding twice.

3. Some conditional trigs are playing when they shouldn’t.

This is happening on multiple midi channels, multiple midi tracks and on different patterns and projects.

My initial set up was with the following chain Digitakt>Syntakt>Digitone.

I’ve tested with the Syntakt out of the chain and it’s made no difference.
I’ve swapped out cables. No difference
I’ve reinstalled firmware. No difference

I’ve never had an issue with sequencing out of the other Digis.

Example video of some of what’s going on. This is just 3 notes looping. There’s no modulation applied to anything anywhere that should be changing the pitch of the notes.

From your description it sounded like something to do with an LFO but after watching your video I’m not sure anymore, if you’re referring to the way the third note of each pattern does that sort of stacked hit (don’t know what else to call it) it sounds very deliberate which does’t lead me to believe it’s bad midi data or a bug, it seems more like something that is related to a setting.

Assuming that the sequence is originating entirely from DT and playing on DN, could it be related to the performance macros on the DN where the DT does not have them? The incremental nature of the sequencer where instead of smooth transitions between p locked value changes it’s splitting them between trigs and causing a stepped effect? Or maybe some other setting on the DN is causing this, one which doesn’t modulate in it’s own sequencer due to how it was set up on the DN (maybe trig length itself??) but as purely midi data creates this?

I don’t know what you were specifically going for, or what is heard when it’s played from the DN sequencer, but I’m quite sure that this is a setting (or patch) based issue. Can you look over the DN settings and see if anything is amiss? Are the other instances outside of this 16 seconds more random or is it all very similar?

Have you tried swapping the Digitone for the Syntakt, to see if it happens to that?

1 Like

That’s on my list to try today.

It’s odd. The sequences are programmed in the exact same way on both machines. Identical note settings. There’s no parameter locks or anything being done on digitone and I purposefully made sure to turn off any modulation.

I’ll give the syntakt a go and see if it’s the same…….if it is then it opens up a whole new question about what on the Digitone would be causing that

1 Like

So I’ve tested with the Syntakt and same thing happens. Digitakt is officially let off.

As some extra testing I ran the same sequence but with the note that’s repeating a few steps earlier. It seems that step 11 is triggering an extra step for some reason despite not having a note there. I’ve opened up the “add notes” page on the Digitone and can see that it’s registering a load of notes coming in (as if it’s seeing a chord being played) that aren’t part of the pattern. If I load the same sound on a new pattern it doesn’t do it.

As this appears to be a Digitone thing I’ve moved the thread over

Weirdly, I copied the same pattern to a new pattern number and it’s sorted itself. Copied back to original pattern number and still all sorted. Some weird glitch somewhere. Seems all good now though

good stuff, glad to hear it. scan the bugs thread and see if anything similar pops up, not something I’ve heard of though. pretty weird.