MIDI Questions/Concepts

Hi All, I’m sorry for the question, but I’m trying to grasp a concept.
If I’m syncing my AR with the Octatrack and sending program change messages (from OT to AR), how would I change the mutes on the AR (OT Arranger Mode)?
Would I need to do this on a MIDI track and then use a new pattern in the Octatrack to send different mute messages?
I suppose I’m thinking of the song mode in AR as I’ve had that for longer.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Chris

@Open_Mike explains it here for the Digitone (it’s the same with AR):

1 Like

Thanks for your help!
Since the AR has 12 tracks, I take it I need to use 12 MIDI tracks (+ 1 for Program change messages?).
Wow, that’s a lot of MIDI :slight_smile: I’m new to this part of synthesis…
Do I need to start from MIDI track 9, or am I confusing the Octatrack MIDI (to it’s own sequencer)?
Sooo much to learn in not very much time. I can only take 1 machine per commute too - this is going to be interesting/boring (dependent on perspective).
Chris

The 12 tracks are, of course, a problem, because the OT has only 8 MIDI tracks (so you can send only on 8 different MIDI channels).

So you need to choose which AR tracks you want to mute. Or you could set multiple AR tracks to receive on the same channel, so they get muted as a group …

About program change: you don’t need an own MIDI track for this, when the patterns of AR and OT matches (A1 on OT = A1 on AR). Just make sure that SYNC->PROG CH SEND on OT and PROG CH RECEIVE on AR matches. Then the AR will automatically follow the OT when it changes to another pattern.

3 Likes

Thanks, yes 8 MIDI tracks 1 x AR + Prophet + SV-1 + Bassbot to try and control.
I might have to think about grouping Mutes for live stuff, plus I’m clocking the Bassbots sequencer from the AR.
I will need a new OT pattern for each mute change eg:
OT Pattern 1 = AR: BD + HH Unmuted
OT Pattern 2= AR: BD + HH + CLAP + DVCO Unmuted
OT Pattern 3 = AR: BD + HH + CLAP + DVCO + OH Unmuted etc. etc.
Thanks Chris

A 2nd OT is simpler. :slight_smile:
With midi processors you can assign any midi message to another one. You’d be able to mute all your external gear with just 1 midi track…

1 Like

If you want you can use both the OT arranger and AR song mode, set them up independently but make it so that they play your song correctly when run together. This way you can use the full programable mute/unmute capabilities of each…

3 Likes

Another option is just to use more patterns/pattern copies on the AR using the same kit but the ones where you want muted tracks just don’t have any trigs on that track.

Another option is to set a scene(or scenes) on AR that drops the amp vol of all the tracks you want muted to zero and use an OT midi track to activate/deactivate the scene(s). This doesn’t work with the AR choke groups though as trigs with amp vol 0 still interfere with the other grouped track.

–For full midi mute/unmute of all 12 AR tracks from OT you would need to set up 8 midi tracks for the tied tracks and have one of those tracks also send a scene cc where the scene mutes the rest of the tracks, perhaps having multiple scenes even for more control. There goes all your midi tracks though unless per OT part you know you’ll only need to mute and unmute some of the tied tracks…

The above is not too straight forward or simple, just throwing out the options… Easiest is use multiple AR patterns and next easiest use both arranger and song mode…

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice, it looks that it is not quite as complimentary as I thought it might be. As usual you have all been great. Some chin stroking and messy diagrams to come while working this out…

1 Like