Midi Processors with Octatrack

I actually mostly use the MIDIpal with other gear rather than the OT. Mainly for filtering, MIDI echo and the arpeggiator. I haven’t needed it in my Octatrack workflow yet.

I’m thinking about building a MIDIgal soon so that I can run the clock analysis/itter removal firmware for trackign stuff out to DAW. It should work really well, but it won’t run on an original MIDIpal

I checked and the patchbay is actually a Voodoo Labs MX-8, not Rocktron (although I could have sworn both brands were owned by the same company).

1 Like

Even if nobody cares about that topic I’m happy to announce that now I can recall 2 scenes at the same time with one scene button! :loopy:
Powerfull!

Basic example : pitch +12 on both scenes while modulating filter. You can make several transpositions on the fly pressing scenes A while mangling other parameters.

8 x 2 scenes, enough for me.
Principle : midi loopback, when I change Scene A, OT sends CC55, values 0-15. I use EPPlus to trigger CC56 values 0-7 when I press scene A 9-16 (CC55 values 8-15).

7 Likes

Wait, can you actually send a midi note to change scene selections? If so, that would be nuts for that live guitar performance thing you demonstrated with a midi foot pedal

3 Likes

Yep! I can even record with midi tracks all scenes changes and crossfader movements. :tongue:

Can’t wait to control crossfader with the foot pedal !

1 Like

I was super inspired by your guitar performance! That is like one thing that you can ONLY do with the Octatrack and would actually make for cool performative element- so I definitely want to poke around with that technique.

The notion of being able to do that with a foot pedal. So cool.

Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

About using a midi processor to map crossfader CC48 to any midi midi message.

That’s not a problem. If mapped, only the new message can pass through, depending on the midi processor you use. Easy to filter events.

Did you check @guga’s Goliath?

1 Like

@sezare56 aka mad OT scientist and photoshop wizard, thanks for this thread. will link this thread to one of my guitar playing OT friends

2 Likes

I use my Nord G2 as best friend with my OT.
And the G2 can be used as a flexible midi processor if you want.

What i use often is using the OT crossfader (CC48) to control a morph-group in the G2 (so i can change all kinds of parameters in the G2 with the crossfader). I even made it so that the G2 reacts on Scene changes and i can set (in the G2) on wich scenes the crossfaders works or not.

Also i did this: OT as Polyphonic sampler (8 voices) with Nord G2

4 Likes

Interesting! Midipal does poly too. Retrokit rk002 too.

These poly options are nice indeed.

The G2 is a modular for synths/FX but also for midi. A swiss army knife for music :wink:

You set it up with a computer?

You program a G2 patch indeed with a computer (USB), but after that you can disconnect it and use all the patches you have in the synth standalone.

1 Like

Good one!
I made the scenes change depending on crossfader position! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Even better! Need a head with scene changes to grasp the possibilities here :wink:

1 Like

Explain how do you make poly first ! :wink:

Wrong quality example, but it gives an idea : you can see scenes change depending on crossfader at the beginning and at 1mn. Huge possibilities.

2 Likes

Indeed! Wow! Nice lightshow with the trigleds.

(I need some extra lives just to explore all te possibilities, or find a way to make a living of it…)

1 Like

So how do you make poly? :wink:

See here: OT as Polyphonic sampler (8 voices) with Nord G2

This is a really interesting topic. What would you advise as a one stop box for this? I haven’t done this before , but the more i watch and read about it , its something i want to get into!
I don’t mind getting my hands dirty with programming as i originally trained up to be a software engineer.

Hard to tell.
I find Event Processor very logical, easiest for me. Some limitations.
Rk002 is cheap can be programmed with arduino language, some things to install. An easier interface would be nice. Check RK004 and RK005 too.
Midipal needs online application, I can’t stand this (maybe possible to download the online web).
IConnectMidi4 is very limited but it is USB to midi, merger, dispatcher, Ipad things…
Axoloti is very interesting, synth, sampler…
Bomebox seems really good, many rules options I think I’ll buy it one day.
MEP4 is cheap, 100% hardware, but it’s incredibly huge for what it does.

I’d check Event Processor Plus and Bomebox at first.

1 Like