Midi output issues

I´m having severe issues with the midi out and thru on my digitone. I recently tried to use it to play or sequence my percussa ssp, i get no response from my outputs.
I have checked the MIDI CONFIG > PORT CONFIG, and changed “OUTPUT TO” to midi.

OUT PORT FUNCTIONALITY is also set to “midi”.

I have had issues before; when sending midi data from my Deluge (master sequencer) via the digitone thru jack, to other devices i´ve been unsuccessful. Just doesn´t work, so i´ve been forced to place it last in the chain whatever i do.

At the moment, i haven´t cared to investigate since i got a midi thru splitter and each device got it´s own thru connection from the master sequencer (deluge).

Something appears to be wrong with my midi outputs. What do you think? Anything besides contact Elektron that i can do?

It´s updated with the latest firmware and i got it used but besides the above issue it´s always behaved.

Cheers!

//Marcus

The THRU output isn’t a second MIDI out. It’s just a duplication of what’s sent to the MIDI in.

2 Likes

Specifically a copy of only the DIN midi in, not USB midi In. Usb Midi and Din Midi are not connected

2 Likes

I know that. A misunderstanding, i meant that i use the thru as it´s supposed to, my deluge is master sequencer and when trying to pass midi data through Digitone via the thru output, to other gear, it does not work either.

I know that, but thanks anyway.

Is the DT on a midi track? If it’s on a synth track, only the DT will sound. HTH

I’m playing a Keystep which passes midi through the DT where it is received by a 0-coast. Works fine for me.

Hi,
fair point - but it´s on a midi track. Tried all four midi tracks but the problem persists.
I can´t figure it out, it really seems like i have some kind of defective unit. :frowning:
It don´t really matter because i can put it last in the chain and it won´t bother me, but i prefer to have a 100% working unit of course.
//Marcus

Contacted support about the issue; hopefully it´s possible to fix rather quickly and hopefully under warranty. Even better if i don´t have to drop it off at their place, but i´m sure i have done everything i can myself at this point.

I´ll update the thread when something happens; maybe it can help if someone else has a similar issue.

I experienced the same. Trying to midi sequence out and nothing going out :thinking:

Can you play the keyboard and control another synth that way?

Will have another look with some other gear. Don’t forget to set the midi channel on one of the midi pages (syn 1)? There’s also an option to set midi channel on the system menu pages.

Yes, I have changed the midi settings in the config, made sure that I used one of the midi tracks instead of synth tracks, and also made certain that the midi channels used matches what I receive on the synth I’m trying to play. Is these things what you mean?

Yes, try do hook up other gear doing the same thing. It’s when I compared like this I realized my Tone might be broken. :frowning:
Let me / us know of your progress! Good luck.

I got mine working. Can’t explain why but I must have missed something when trying yesterday or plugged it in wrong…it was dark and I was tired :slight_smile: best thing to do is try plugging into Ableton or something that can receive on all channels and see if you’re getting any midi signals.

1 Like

Have you watched the Cuckoo mega tutorial? He explains a few things to check for midi sequencing (near the end of the video).

1 Like

About 1hr 26mins in -

1 Like

That´s a nice video with some cool tidbits of info in it, thanks!
I´m thinking that if a have a device set to receive in omni mode (on all channels), is it still required to set channel on “MIDI SOURCE” page?
My Percussa SSP is by default in omni mode and it don´t respond anyway, but as soon as i used my Deluge or any other machine to send midi to it everything works just fine.

But i will try out the new tips in this video when i get home - hopefully it does the trick.

Thanks! :slight_smile: And good that you got yours working.

I have a fallback; i´m in contact with the support @ Elektron and will drop it off at their place (same town) if i can´t fix it myself.

Yes! You’ll have to set a channel number on that page otherwise it wont transmit anything at all :+1:

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for that! I think i understand now and the problem is solved, but they have the setup and explanation a little convoluted imo. Two approaches using midi in Digitone is described and i must have mixed them up.

It sort of sounds like both of these approaches tries to achieve the same goal, but i guess the first chapter (14.3.3) handles how to control midi tracks in Digitone from an external source, and 16.3 handles the opposite.

I should have read the manual more thoroughly but that´s a lesson for nex time i guess.
I hope the “thru” issue i also have can be solved using something described in the chapters above, if not i have to read a little bit more in the manual.

Naboo, thank you! Your input solved the intial problem, hopefully the second one too. Cheers mate, i´ll swing a cold one for you this weekend! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No probs! :beers: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I wonder if anyone have my same issue, If I press t he DN keys I can get the midi OUT to my daw LIVE but once the steps are recorded and I press play to sync say a VST there is no Midi coming IN… I think I did test my Cycles and I remember it was working… so Pressing keys on my DN fine and the daw gets it but is not receiving the sequencer one