MIDI Out Functionality

Just because you don’t see why doesn’t mean it’s not important to others. And your analogy is just dumb. A electronic Instrument that functions with MIDI in every other way but one is nothing like a Burrito vs a Pizza dude. The correct analogy would be getting the Pizza and it’s about 5 minutes shy of being fully cooked…that’s what we are talking about.

How about using some cool little sampler like a Microgranny with your RYTM??? Or replace the Microgranny with anything that has a MIDI input on it but doesn’t have a sequencer (insert pretty big flipping list here)

Do you really think there are pages and pages of posts of people discussing this for absolutely no reason??

And finally, you should look into the Beatstep Pro more maybe huh? It’s sequencer does not sequence parameters, pretty much just notes. The Electron does sequence parameters which is why it’s considered a really good sequencer. Not to mention Plocks and the rest.

So when things don’t make sense to you, do a little research before trying to say others’ wants and opinions can be boiled down to useless analogies.
No go enjoy your pizzarrito :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The analogy is perfectly valid. You are purchasing one thing, then wondering why it isn’t something else. Both Pizzas and Burritos are foodstuffs - therefore they are analogous. Your analogy is invalid because there is no intention for the Analog boxes to sequence MIDI, therefore they are not partially cooked.

I said the Beatstep because it is cheap. Try a Cirklon or Pyramid if you have the money.

Anyway, this has been done to death. Those boxes don’t sequence MIDI, stop crying about it.

Nope, it’s a stupid analogy but I don’t expect the idiot who came up with it to realize that.

The fact that you offer a severely limited alternative (the beat step) to the Electron sequencer first only shows how little you actually know.

Sorry my “crying” upset you so…

Please, everyone, debate the issues but do not insult each other.

1 Like

srsly this peeps

1 Like

snap !

Apologies - I didn’t insult anyone until I was insulted, but shouldn’t have risen to it. The incoherence coming my way isn’t really conducive to a discussion in any case. This chap clearly wants a piece of hardware that doesn’t exist and wants everyone to know about it. I am quite happy with my gear and sharp enough to work round its limitations, so I’ll just leave him to get on with his tantrum.

cum ba yaa my lord

cum ba yaaaaaaaaa

look at a the size of that a asteriod - its like a a a a a a a a a plum sized fist.

1 Like

Look at the ad copy

The keyboard is beautifully responsive. Next to it, you’ll find a fully programmable joystick for tweaks on the fly. The integrated sequencer adds structure when needed – providing an extra dimension of joy for the creative musician.

That is it’s direction here, it’s an instrument with Elektron’s depth as a performance synth.

Since I can already play midi with it and use Overbridge to do additional midi sequencing, I want the direction to be adding more depth to the existing sound modulation. That’s why I bought it, as a performance instrument with a UI that was less hardcore then an OT. I don’t want to layer midi sequencing into what exists on the physical box, there isn’t room IMHO.

We’ve got multimode keybeds allowing for midi play along side internal sequencing. I assume this is technically much more simple to pull off than adding MIDI to existing sequence information.

I just think Elektron should spend more time elsewhere in the box. Adding MIDI could add bloat to the sequencing code, making advancements less likely.

Am I understanding you correctly in that one can use the Beatstep Pro synced to the A4, and then program midi-synths from the Beatstep? If that’s the case, then I guess the problem is solved…?

That old “conspiracy theory” chestnut. The go-to phrase that nullifies healthy dissent.

“No midi out” reflects the consumerist world we live in, and one in which Elektron need to survive.

It’s an omission and a cynical design choice.

1 Like

The important word is ‘theory’. You don’t know that anymore than anyone else knows the other.

And you can easily throw out the notion that ‘conspiracy theory’ is a phrase used to stifle healthy dissent. That’s just an equally artificial method of attempting to add credence to an unproven position, while omitting anything which could be considered proof of your theory.

The Analog boxes don’t do MIDI out from their sequencers. That we CAN prove, and that’s what we are working with.

… And I’m not sure why the MIDI out issue is considered so ‘cynical’. By logical extension you consider it cynical that Elektron make more than a single product which combines every feature of their current range?

No, the phrase, sadly, only reflects back poorly on those who only see the issue as being driven by sales … when you’re so blinkered to other possibilities and logic by your own unswayable preference that the only possible reason is something else … it’s a lack of understanding of the full big picture

basically, I can’t figure out why it might be so, so it must be this :zonked:

it’s not a phrase to protect :3lektron: it’s a phrase to advocate critical thought

that’s not to say that companies don’t work this way, they do, I just don’t buy into this here in the slightest, I think the balance they strike is the right one and I’ve no issues with it

I still don’t see an obstacle to implementing it in a basic note mirroring way though

Elektron units are bit of a mess/inconsistent in general for me. I wanna use my OT as the only sequencer so I don’t have to jump around while programming or performing but it doesn’t have trig conditions so I have to program my AK in its own sequencer. Then line up/open/switch sessions etc and either learn how to switch patterns AK from OT or (as I do now) switch patterns on both. Obviously there’s only so much foresight and cpu in the OT and no point not adding features to the newer sequencers just so you’re not tempted away from using ot. But it would definitely be a LOT simpler for me if I could just use OT. Cursed usefulness of trig conditions! Would be killer if they could fit trig conditions in to OT in one final OS squeeze…

The a4/AK midi out (lack of) seems like just another one of those things. Often a PITA but not really at fault cos its not what it was designed for. Ugh…

Very often, that phrase is used to discredit an idea, but if that was not your intention then OK.

Circa 2011…in the bowels of Elektron HQ…an A4 design/brainstorming session…

Elektron dude 1: “OK, so we have our 4 analogue voices. How about we add a CV track to sequence my modular and old CV gear?”

Elektron dude 2: ”Dude… I’m so hard for you right now!”

Elektron dude 3: “Erm… what about those who don’t use CV?”

Elektron dude 1+2: gesture playing the world’s smallest violin (in stereo of course)

2 Likes

With all the recent product releases I hope Elektron returns to improving features on existing gear with more firmware updates. I own the Keys and Rytm and find some clearly desirable features to be woefully unimplemented. Sending MIDI out from the sequencer being one, which the user base has been waiting over 2 years for. The hardware is great but firmware is what holds their gear back in my opinion.

1 Like

Midi out from the A4/AK sequencer ain’t going to happen.

I can get you midi sequencer note out on your AK for $180.

See my post in the Marketplace - Sell section.

2 Likes