MIDI OT MKII to NYXv2 (DREADBOX) not working!

I’m trying to connect me the midi out of the OT to the NYX. Seems pretty easy right ? But somehow it’s not working. I have the thru track on, with the trig on with right input. I have selected channel 1 and I have press the button to confirm it. Clock sending, transport is sending. INT setup checked. Midi Autochannel 11.
NYX V2 on the back of the box I have some small buttons (from 1 to 6) and from the documentation the number 5 has to be up to receive midi on channel 1.
That’s all I have… why isn’t working.
I have updated the Firmware from OT… so imI don’t know…
Any kind of help would be great.

Hard to know what is going wrong, I would try to isolate the problem first:

1. Check that audio is coming through the Thru track (plug in a phone or something)
  2. Check that the Dreadbox is being triggered (listen directly from the box using headphones)

I get Audio only when NYX is in drone mode (doesn’t need to be triggered)
And it triggers absolutely randomly and mostly not at all.

How you like the NYX anyways? Ive just got an erebus v3, but also thinking to get the NYXv2.

Since you get audio in drone mode, it is probably some kind of midi problem.

Double check that the midi cable is plugged from out on the Octatrack to in on the Nyx (I have connected the thru instead of out by mistake more times than I’d like to admit). Restart both machines double check your settings just to make sure.

Do you see the blinking pixel on the top right over the tempo indicator when midi trigs on the Octatrack? Have you tried another cable or connecting some other instrument and/or controller with that same cable?

1 Like

if audio channel track 1 (or any) has midi channel of 1 assigned to it this may create conflict with a Midi track trying to use Track 1

so either disable the MIDI side of the audio tracks or change the midi channel assignment so only one track from audio/midi sends on 1

not sure why you mention this - it’s not relevant when using the OT as a controller - so channel 11 is not a part of your picture, nor is the need to think about autochannel which relates to external midi control of your OT

obviously check all the midi settings look right and be sure that the midi channel is active - you need to press the encoder to enable the channel when assigning a midi channel

If I were you, I’d email dreadbox support. There was a midi problem with the Erebus V3 which was incredibly easy to fix by replacing the 6N137 with a 6N138 optocoupler. But these are different instruments, I’m not a technician. Not sure if others have been experiencing this problem but its fairly new so its possible. Seems unlikely that they would have the same problem with a newer synth but, message dreadbox.

1 Like

now another strange thing its happening.
when I have MIDI chanel 1 (track1) trigged nothing happens. but when I fill trigs on the MIDI ch 2 (on track 2) it works. as if MIDI 2 is doing a kind of gate. I´m fairly new to midi connection on the octatrack. so it´s trial and error kind of thing

the machine itself its worthwhile. some good upgrades and a beast on low end. the fact that has the drone mode and a good amount of connections its a very good thing for the kind of product that it wants to be.

1 Like

Perhaps you have set the Nyx V2 to receive on MIDI channel 2? Check the positions of the DIP switches.

Double check the following:

• Midi cable runs from Octatrack midi out to Nyx midi in.
  • Midi channel setting on Nyx
  • Octatrack midi track note setup (double press SRC) - check it is set to correct channel
  • That you have note data on the track
  • That the midi track isn’t muted

Your setup seems OK.

Note that another user has reported problems with OT & Nyx V2:

I suggest that you report your problem to Dreadbox.

Shouldn’t “Audio Note Out” set to ‘ext’ or ‘ext+int’?

Thanks! I have already reported! Let’s see where it goes.

Just got an NYX2 yesterday and I can confirm the exact same issue you’re reporting with my OT. That’s what brought me here. Bummer that Dreadbox can’t repro it and it’s going to require sending the unit in. Ugh.

Report to dreadbox. They have a very nice support service. I’m currently waiting for a hardware device to install (you can opt to send the machine back and they do it for you) on my unit. Apparently they have solved the Problem. I report afterwards.

2 Likes

Nice, thanks for the update. I did report on Friday so, Im sure they’ll get back to me soon. Do you know if a solder kit is required to install the piece?

Hi
OTmkii & NYX v2 user here.

Sorry I didn’t read the whole thread - but here’s my experience, hope it helps.

They don’t like talking to each other unless I connect them using my iConnectMIDI4+

The OT seemed to trigger only one faint note that didn’t seem to relate to any action performed on the OT.

I had read about MIDI problems with the v2, but it worked fine being controlled by a Minilogue.
I had read that the OT works best sequencing external gear using channels 9-16 (is this actually true?) but the NYX v2 only has channels 1-6…

Anyway, I did panic for a minute until I used the iConnectivity device.
I don’t know what this means but it does seem to be a solid, reliable connection.

Purely from a midi point of view, I’v never experienced any particular issues that would differentiate ch 1 to 8 from 9 to 16. However, if one would assign 1-8 to audio channels, it is advised to use 9-16 for midi so that there are no shared channels. There are some circumstances under which such a set-up would complicate stuff and lead to a bunch of WTF moments.

If an audio track and a MIDI track share the same MIDI channel, the MIDI track will block the audio track from sending out data while the audio track will block the MIDI track from receiving data. In the PROJECT menu you can see which MIDI channels are assigned to which audio tracks. Read more in the section “MIDI” on page 41

2 Likes