MIDI Octatrack > Cycles

Hi I’m trying and failing to get midi on channel 1 from the octatrack to the model cycles, I have midi going thru the octatrack and then to the cycles in then out to the moog subharmonicon. The moog midi light isnt flashing when i play the octatrack, nor is the cycles beat starting. what have i missed >>>??? thanks!

We might need to clarify a few details of your setup in order to fix the problem.

Do you want to send Note messages from the OT to the M:C?

Have you connected the MIDI Out port (not MIDI Thru port) of the OT to the MIDI In port of the M:C?

Have you activated TRANSP SEND and CLOCK SEND in the OT’s PROJECT > MIDI > SYNC menu?

What have you set for “CLK IN” in the M:C’s CONFIG > MIDI > SYNC menu?

What have you set for “OUT POL” and “OUT/THRU” in the M:C’s CONFIG > MIDI > PORTS menu?

What cable are you using to send MIDI messages from the M:C to the SubH?

3 Likes

Thank you so much, I got confused with the model cycles set of Clk In which was set of Off. That was the problem. its now on and the octatrack sends it on and the cycles plays. I still cant get the subharmonicon to register the out of the midi from the cycles yet tho… cable is standard midi cable to adapter then midi in on subhamonicon. Inp From M+U Out to M+U. Out Pol. INV Out Thru: THRU

The first thing to check is the cabling.

What happens when you set OUT POL to “STD” in the M:C’s CONFIG > MIDI > PORTS menu?

Tried that and still nothing - everything is connected just fine, midi out from M/C definitely goes to the SH ok

…i also run a cycles side by side with an ot mk2…
and sure ot is hosting the cycles audio outputs…but midi wise, cycles is just following sync orders from ot…no further midi information…and i hardly recommend to do the same and harvest cycles sound engines by it’s very own sequencer lanes/tracks…
otherwise u just miss out on too much direct performance realtime options…

1 Like

I use a very similar setup to what you are, and STD polarity is what I use. It may be that you don’t have Receive Notes on in Midi Filter menu. Give that a try and I think you should be good to go.

Let’s check: by this do you mean that you are confident that you have the correct cables, or do you mean that you have used these cable connections to send MIDI messages from the M:C to the SH in the past?

Are you using the Elektron MIDI adaptor to connect to the M:C and the Moog MIDI adaptor to connect to the SH?

Yeh Ive got the correct cables, and they work on other devices I dont think ive ever used the elektron to send midi onwards before to the octatrack tbh.
I used STD polarity
Cycles has definitely got receive on as it plays in sync with the octatrack, when i press play the octatrack sends midi thru and cycles plays
Its somethign stupid I’ve done

Then now is the time to get troubleshooting. If you temporarily connect the OT’s MIDI Out directly to the SH MIDI In, does the SH receive MIDI clock as expected?

YOu are right :). Hey, the answer is no the SH doesnt play when i go direct! (maybe i just cant do this at all ??)

When I go from the keystep pro OUT 1 midi to the midi of the SH, it plays - I also have patched Out clock in IN Clock SH. So it seems that i cant sync from octatrack to SH apparently

The SH plays notes in response to the KSP’s keyboard, or the sequencer of the SH plays?

To double-check that, you could try connecting M:C (configured for MIDI Out instead of MIDI Thru) directly to the SH MIDI In to see whether SH receives MIDI clock as expected.

1 Like

The SH plays the sequencer WITH the notes in response when plugged in direct to the keystep pro and the midi light is lit
Direct connecting the M:C to the SH yields nothing when its played

I have to say I don’t even know tbh if what i am doing is useful, maybe i just need to go back to make the keystep pro the source of the truth with 2 midi outs, I know that probably works best.

Please clarify: do you mean that:

• the SH plays notes in response to the KSP’s keyboard,
    or
  • the sequencer of the SH plays in time with the KSP’s sequencer?

Please clarify: do you mean that the sequencer of the SH does not plays in time with the M:C’s sequencer?

Did you change the M:C’s MIDI Thru to MIDI Out?

There is no underlying reason why your OT > M:C > SH setup should not work as you want. You were getting close to the identifying the source of the problem.

2 Likes

That was it - for some reason I didnt have the Midi Thru set to OUT !! and it works
Also what was blocking it was the fact I had the CLOCK OUT of the keystep PRO set to the Clock in of the OH. Duh!
I just now need to find out how to get the keystep pro to trigger the OT and I am home dry

thanks so much :slight_smile: :)!!