Midi notes from Digitakt to Ableton. Not Possible?

As I said :stuck_out_tongue: Send a feature request :wink: If you don‘t do it, it will never be implemented! Every feature request counts!!

1 Like

Yeah, if your workflow is based on Ableton drums, maybe you’d be better off programming straight into the DT’s MIDI tracks or straight into Ableton.

Very weird! I just tried it out myself and sure enough, just a teeny orange one-bar flicker on an Ableton MIDI track when I hit the DT audio tracks’ buttons. Pretty sure that’s just interference, as you say you can’t route MIDI output data (channel / note / velocity etc) from audio tracks so don’t hold your breath for an update!

EDIT: I’m very new to Ableton (recently ditched Logic Pro X) but it looks like you can convert audio to MIDI. You could set up the 8 different OB audio tracks and with drum sounds being generally short and transient it might work pretty well.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/converting-audio-to-midi/

1 Like

pressing the track trig buttons and playing in chromatic mode on the DT will send midi note data. The audio track sequencer will not.

2 Likes

That’s what i meant. It’s the sequencer that doesn’t send midi notes. not the machine itself.

2 Likes

Late response but I had this same issue on my Digitakt and my friend on his Digitone. Spent some time getting frustrated as to why we could both write audio from our DT/DN into Ableton and manually write midi triggers with the mouse, but we both couldn’t write any midi trigger from our hardware no matter whether we used MIDI+Audio cables through an interface or USB using Overbridge or Midi+USB mode.

Didn’t seem right that you couldn’t write MIDI triggers with linked to the audio.
Turns out (as per usual) the issue was a simple setting of the DT/DN.

We found that if you go into Settings > Midi Config > Port Config and make sure Trig key destination is set to Int+Ext instead of just Int. Your DT will now be able to write midi triggers into Ableton through a midi channel :grin:

If you’re having any other issues with Ableton setup…
Follow this video: How to RECORD your SYNTHS into a DAW (Ableton & Logic) | Noize London - YouTube
It’s for a Korg Minilogue but the setup through Ableton works exactly the same like similar synth/drum machines.

This videos are helpful too:

I hope this helps someone.
Cheers!

3 Likes

Thanx man… that’s the holy grail…

So does it mean that I could recieve MIDI triggers from Ableton to record them into DT sequencer and vice versa - even while in OB mode?

That would be exactly what I am looking for…

I haven’t tried the reverse actually but let me know if that works for you. I assume you’d make sure the DT is recording and then press play on ableton and it might write them in there? That’d be sweet for playing live

It does!!! Fortunately!!

But notes seem to have a little offset in DT sequencer then. This can be solved with quantize on the DT.

If there was micotiming in the DAW-MIDI-notes already - will be gone then.

But it is OK. I would import the notes into DT for further tweaking with DTsequencer anyway.

1 Like