Midi noob questions

Also, thank you, @PeterHanes
you have enabled my procrastination marvelously, and for that i am grateful.
When i take up the torch of learning of learning the ins and outs of Midi implementation on my devices, it will involve my SH01-A, and you can expect to hear from me.
I had had the same feelings regarding sequencing another elektron sequencer… didnt make much sense to me, but then felt i was just being lazy. thank you for helping me to stay in my pajamas, so to speak.
the time will come soon.

No, it really isnt. In my opinion. Sure its more advanced than most other arps, but compared to the OT arp… its annoyingly basic.

There’s no rule that says you have to sequence other gear from other gear.

If you do send midi from OT to digitone though… oh god does it get deep… fast. 5 LFOs per track, the insane OT midi arp, 2 layers of trigless locks per track, 12 more plockable CCs per track, on top of the 4 destinations of velocity Mod, pitch mod, aftertouch mod… and so on. Its ridiculous.

2 Likes

Good to hear. I mean, I have to disagree to a certain extent, but the DN arp is the best one ive used, which isnt saying much really. How do you feel the OT arp is better than the DN? I have yet to explore that, obvs, but reading g over it in the manual they appear pretty similar.
Oddly enough? I’m kind of leaning towards using less modulation. Not sure where this is coming from, but I suspect it’s from a “sure I can make things sound crazy with Octatrack, let’s see how normal I can make it sound…”
Lately my ideal synth sound is like a slightly distorted Rhodes. Kinda like a Mikes Davis electric era Chick Corea, so I’m not sure I need 5 lfos. I hardly even use the three.
But that’s a hard sell on MIDI to DN, for sure… I WILL get to learning how to set it up. Just putting it off…
Thank you

You can turn it on and off, per step. This is huge.
I could list more things, but I wont.

Obviously, the style of music you make somewhat influences the techniques you might use. maybe you dont need the OT arp at all. I could bang on about the OT arp all day, but I wont. :slight_smile:

1 Like

you had me at on and off, sir…
i had a clear vision of plockable Arp, nd tthats it, i get it.
ddrrunk posting so i dont want to regret anything.
and yet i commit to clicking POST.

as far as OT Midi Arp, what you say sounds massive.
Indeed, what i have wanted from the DN all along.

Working on sequencing the DN from OT just as a learning experience, and running into problems using the Midi Learn function on the OT…
Saw a post lamenting that neither the DT nor the DN work with this function…
For real?
Just trying to confirm…

Im filling them in with the CC implementation map from the manual, just a bit of a head scratcher that i couldnt get it to work via that awesome feature on the OT.

Is the DN set to CC? (NRPN won’t work).
Corresponding midi channels ?

Midi learn should work with any machine sending and receiving CCs.

1 Like

In Midi Config, i have it (DN) set to RECIEVE CC/NRPN is checked yes…
Corresponding Midi channels: On OT : Track1>Channel 1.
Thats the only track/Midi track im trying to fuck with at the moment
I understand that DN’s midi channels are set to 5-8, but i understood (misunderstood?) that to be for DN Midi send…
OT set to send Midi on Channel 16, and DN set to recieve it on Ch 16.

Like i said, filling in the blanks with the Midid Info from manual, just thaought itd be awesome to work it through the feature function of Midi Learn. pretty rad feature.

Midi tracks can’t receive midi if they share the same midi channels as audio tracks (channels 1-8 by defauft). You can choose channel 9-16 instead, of set audio tracks channels to off (MIDI>CHANNELS).

DN midi track receive midi on these channels, but send midi on the channel set on SYN page iirc.

1 Like

okay… i will give that the mess around.
thank you, sir.
I only have the DN sending Midi OUT to OT > In so i could test the Midi Learn function. Not surprised that i dont have it set up correctly…

You also have to choose
PARAM OUTPUT > CC

Not that simple! The midi receiving blocked with tracks 1-8 is not obvious at all.

1 Like

That PARAM output >CC setting is in place…
Im about to turn into a pumpkin here in the US…
Super grateful for your responses…

BUT WAIT!!
So, to recieve note/CC data from DN to OT i should change the CHAN in MIDI SRC page to channel 9 for MIDI track 1? im confused! .and im also tired…
Im getting to new places with these machines everyday, even if it isnt fun all the time.
what a year.

1 Like

Yes you can use channels 9-16 for midi tracks, or disable audio tracks channels, or set them differently (9-16 for example).

HOW MIDI IS ROUTED
If an audio track and a MIDI track share the same MIDI channel, the MIDI track will block the audio track from sending out data while the audio track will block the MIDI track from receiving data.

1 Like

pretty sure this is my problem.
saw those numbers 5-8 for DN MIdi and think i reassigned stuff where it wasnt necessary.
will report back.

Do you want to control DN midi tracks with OT?

As I said, by default they receive midi on channels 5-8 and Auto Channel, but they send midi on the channel set in Synth page.

1 Like

Well…
Yes.
For the sake of learning how to do this stuff via Midi.
New project Titled DN Midi open
trying to set up new patterns controlling the DN via OT.
Im new to midi in general, hence posting in thus thread.

Just giving it a go so i can learn from the whole experience…

1 Like

Hmm… something strange happened last night while messing around. I was turning an encoder on the OTs FX1 page and all sound cut out. I was in quick mute mode and it changed to look like this.

Now… I know I kind of cocked it up when trying to set up the OT to send MIDI to DN and receive it from DN for MIDI Learn… but I can’t seem to get it out of whatever variation of quick mute mode this is. No sound from DN anymore…,
Flex machines on tracks 6 and 7 are also silent…
:frowning:
Most likely just going to switch banks and start again… just curious what this mode is. Couldn’t see anything about it in the manual

Audio track 1 is clearly solo’ed (visualized by the letter “S”).

Use [CUE]+[TRIG] to toggle the solo state.

It’s manual section 8.8 MIXER MENU which explains in detail how mutes work (it’s the same for quick mute mode).

4 Likes

Aha!
That would explain it. I looked up Quick Mute mode in the manual… silly me.
Thank you, sir!
Also my first experience with Soloing a track, delivered in a haze of japanese whisky and midi confusion.