MIDI loopback for more LFOs

Hi,

I apologize, but I haven’t been able to find help otherwise: either I don’t know how to search or my problem is extremely noobish. That being said, could somene, please explain how I can get more LFOs with MIDI loopback and do it like I’m 6 years old?

Youtube has lots of helpful videos that let me knot, that this can be done, but due to my lack of terms or simple selective blindness, the setup eludes me.

Hi, I’m shooting a very detailed video tutorial on the MIDI loopback as we speak! It will be beginner-friendly and should be out on sunday!

In the meanwhile, here is a quick summary :

• On the hardware side, you just have to plug a regular MIDI cable between the In and the Out
  • Next you have to check a few things in the MIDI Config menu, you wanna make sure that you send and receive MIDI, it’s also a good idea to disable things you don’t use, especially MIDI Note Receive and Clock

Last thing is setting up your MIDI track. The idea is that you can control parameter within your pattern by using external Control Change (or CC) messages. These are standard MIDI data that allows you to modulate parameters from external gear. The Digitakt can send and receive these messages. By assigning your MIDI track’s LFO to a CC value and sending it back into the Digitakt, you get an extra LFO. You can get 8 extra LFOs this way (one per MIDI track). To set up your MIDI track, follow these steps :

• Go to your MIDI track, go to SRC page then hold FUNC and press de encoder A. This will activate the MIDI track. By turning this same encoder, select the MIDI channel that you want to send data on. By default, track 1 is receiving on channel 1, track 2 on channel, etc. If you wanna control the audio track 1, select the MIDI channel 1.

• Next, go to the AMP page, this is where you select the CC number. Almost every parameter of the Digitakt has a corresponding CC number that you need to use if you want to control it. You can find them on the page 71, 72 and 73 of the user manual (https://www.elektron.se/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Digitakt-User-Manual_ENG.pdf) For exemple, if you wanna control the Tune of the track 1, select the CC16 with your encoder A (you wanna look at the small number below the case, the names in the case are generic CC names that correspond to other machine)

• Next, go to your FLTR page. This is where you set the value that you want to send to your parameters. Each of the 8 encoder will send data on the CC that you just selected. To activate the CC1 Value and control the Tune, hold FUNC and press the encoder A.

• Lastly, you just have to assign the MIDI track LFO to this CC Value that you just activated. Go to the LFO page and select “CC1 Value”. Now the LFO is modulating the CC value and sending data to the Tune of your audio track 1! This incoming message will override the setting of your audio track.

Sometimes it doesn’t work right away, in this case just press the MIDI trig key to open up the way and the Digitakt will start listening to the CC.

I hope this is clear! Oh and just one thing, this is not 100% stable, the Digitakt will crash if you double-tap the STOP button or if you load a project (just unplug the MIDI cable when doing one of these).

This is a really cool trick and you can do a lot of other stuff with it, I will show a few ones in my video, here is my channel if you don’t want to miss it :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCCVgtMPRTC_adYMTQnfDmw

Anyway, have fun! :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Wow, thank you very much! I’ll definitely check your channel and especially this upcoming video.

1 Like

Loopback MIDI + external synth, it’s possible?

Digitakt midi out to digitakt midi in. Digitakt midi thru to external synths.

4 Likes

Thanks, it can be fun :wink:

1 Like

Hey Aldo!!!
Thank you tons, merci beaucoup!!! Finally I managed to make it work using this simple walkthrough that you provided. I got lost in the video when you start assigning CC31 (I think), and then quickly moved to the other steps. Here, it is more step-by-step and I have finally cracked it (a little, but still). I can now get sound from trig 9, which was not happening at all before, and I was banging my head for my obtuseness.
There is still a lot to go, my goal is to be able to achieve polyphony (with the retrokits cable), and play long evolving chords, may be eventually generate automatic music like you do
. Its my baby steps in the world of midi. Thank you again for your time and generosity. You are a brilliant teacher.

1 Like

Oh thank you that’s a really nice thing to say!

I struggled to find the right pace for the tutorial but I’m glad you found answers here! :slight_smile: I’m really interested in the Retrokit as well, it must unlock even more crazy shenanigans, aha

1 Like

What I wonder is : can I change the RK002 firmware directly thru the DT now that it’s also a midi interface thanks to Overbridge…?

I have no idea, but I’ve read you can update the firmware with sysex so maybe there’s a way?

1 Like

Afair, the digitakt is not a midi interface. Usb midi does not get translated/routed to the din midi ports.

1 Like

Which is a bit of a shame…

This was a lot of help for me, thanks!

1 Like

Just subscribed to your channel! Looking forward to watch your videos.

1 Like

Thank you very much, I truly appreciate the support! Also thank you @alemartinale :slight_smile:

1 Like