MIDI Learn CC is not working as expected (Analog 4 -> Ocatrack) - why?

Hello everyone,

I setup the Octatrack <-> Analog 4 with MIDI IN / OUT going both directions.
Next I go to the MIDI track 1 and confirm I can send MIDI notes to the Analog 4.
I then go to setup the CC1 parameter, and I do a MIDI learn and turn the Filter knob on the Analog 4.

The MIDI CC1 learns a CC value of 99, which is incorrect! Value 99 is wrong, and turning the knob on the Octatrack doesn’t turn the filter on the Analog 4.

However, if I manually set the CC1 to value 18 (which is the correct Analog 4 Filter CC value from the manual), then everything works as expected. Turning the knob on the Octatrack for CC1 changes the filter value on the Analog 4 and I can watch the knob sweep as I turn the knob on the Octatrack.

Why does the Octatrack MIDI learn function learn the incorrect value of 99? Why does it not receive the correct value of 18? Is this the fault of the Analog 4 or the Octatrack? It seems to me that the Analog 4 must be sending the wrong CC value? What am I missing?

Try looking at the settings of your device

You have it set to transmit NRPN - this is not the same as regular CC messages - the A4 has many parameters and they cannot all be mapped to CC - there isn’t enough slots (or more importantly resolution)

So if you want it to be correct, well it is already correct, it’s your understanding of the current settings of your device which are amiss, then you can set the A4 to transmit CC only - this will send a reduced resolution (7bit aot 14bit) value for some params and it may not send all params

NRPN messages are structured strings of CC type messages - they are not CC messages - but the OT will think that part of the NRPN string is the intended CC message - it’s just that you are not sending CC messages at all - as your device is set to work with NRPN, different game altogether

I’ll change your title

2 Likes

Understood and confirmed. 99 is the NRPN control message. Thank you.

1 Like

Thought I’d try here because I’m having a seemingly similar problem with my Octatrack Mkii & Minilogue XD setup:

When I activate CC Midi Learn, any knob I turn on the XD registers on the OT as CC#63, which is assigned to an LSB message. Based on the above advice for the A4, I perused all the midi-related settings in the XD, and couldn’t find anything similar.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Couldn’t find anything online or anywhere in the two device manuals…

I had a quick look in the pdf manual, the Minilogue XD only transmits/receives midi cc.
No NRPN.

1 Like