Midi keyboard to Octatrack

Very new Octatrack user here. So previous to the octatrack i had a midi keyboard hooked to the A4 and cv running to a couple moogs. Was hoping to get even more functionality in sequencing the moogs using midi control from the octatrack. So far i can play them chromatically using the octatrack sequencer buttons in chromatic mode but I would really like the ability using my midi keyboard to live record into the octatrack in the same manner i was able to with the A4 and cv. Any help? I did try searching for the answer but nothin…

It’s easy enough to do. Plug a keyboard to the midi in. Set its midi in to same as the auto channel (for me thats 11).

Click over to the midi sequencer and set up a midi track choose the correct channel and remember to press the encoder on channel select to confirm selection (a lot of people forget this).

Now when you are viewing said midi track the keyboard will work, however if you go to a different track or to a flex machine etc it will control that track that you are looking at.

1 Like

Thank you! i have it working for t1 connected to the mother 32 and works great, but now I’m stuck trying to get to work with T2 running the slim phatty. Should i have that set to channel 2? when setting the octatrack and slim to channel two i get nothing.I am using the midi quadra thru

I have midi set to auto channel 1

Never mind it appears to be working. just had a slider down on the mixer!
Thank you so much!

1 Like

so do I get it right that I can control every MIDI channel with a keyboard, depending on which one is selected?
and If I play chords the OT is able to record that note information?

So unlike the A4, the octrack will not remember the last note played when you enter trigs?

I am able to “live record” on whatever track is active but it will not assign trigs based on what the last note played on the midi keyboard was. I really liked that feature on the A4.

From what i’m seeing that is true.

Yes. Obviously anything you record into the sequencer will keep playing but just hitting keys etc will only work when the track is selected.
Also the OT doesn’t record passing notes. It does chords fine but you can’t do passing notes without using more than one track.

sweet, thanks for the info!

1 Like

Can anyone tell me how to avoid recording the note lenght and velocity when inserting notes from external keyboard? I only want the pitch information to each step. Thanks!