Midi keyboard for DT

Hi Everyone,

I’m looking for a recommendation on a small midi keyboard to pair with the DT.

Things I want:

1. Velocity sensitive keys (25-32 of them)
  2. Midi output (so I can connect it to the DT)
  3. Small and light
  4. Powered by USB
  5. Preferably no pads or knobs, as I really just want the keyboard

I may end up getting the Novation Launchkey Mkiii, but I’d prefer to not have the pads and knobs.

Best regards,

Gino

arturia keystep ?

4 Likes

+1 for the Keystep! Kinda obvious choice but it really deserves its awesome reputation and ticks almost all your boxes. It does have 3 knobs but they don’t take a lot of space and you might enjoy what they allow you to do (namely control the arpeggiator/sequencer settings). I would say it’s rather light but there are probably way lighter ones out there. I personally love the way it feels, the key are not super great but the device feels very sturdy.

1 Like

Arturia Keystep for sure.

I’m selling one in perfect condition too. :grin:

Yeah, keystep works great. Arpeggiator is also really cool, don’t even need to sync them, just play some stuff and quantize on the DT. Random riffs galore

Thanks everyone, I just ordered one of the LE black keysteps.

It’s on the way!

3 Likes

I checked the i/o on the launchkey you mentioned in the OP. Just checking to see if you know that you can’t use the USB port to power directly from the DT, and that you have to use the midi din to communicate with it?

I got it, and it’s working great! Thanks again for the recommendation.

It’s bit larger than I expected, but the 32 key keybed is also very playable at this size.

One thing I can’t figure out yet is that I have both the DT and KS synced to USB, and when I start the host it starts the sequencer or arp on the Keystep. I’d prefer if it defaulted to the regular keyboard mode, and let me press play on the KS when needed.

Best regards,

Gino

2 Likes

You have dipswitchs at the back to control syncing and stuff, maybe try to select Internal mode (with the 2 switches down)? I don’t remember if this affect Transport as well!

Yes - I’ve been exploring those.

For now I’ll set the KS to internal timing, that way the transport keys work, which is very handy.
The only odd thing with that is the Tap button then flashes off beat :slight_smile:

That’s because it’s not synced to the DT. I haven’t figured out a way to pass clock through it without the sequencer/arp running.

I am not sure but there’s a new firmware (1.1.0) for the KS and I think it allows to start/stop the sequencer whenever you want manually.

3 Likes

Just received my keystep, cool duo with the digitakt, arpegiator was missing…

You are correct, sir. That will be great to get installed.

Exactly

Good catch! Oh man, that would have been perfect!

Unfortunately when I tried it this morning, I could not get the “Armed” setting to work with FL Studio :confused: When I send the KS midi master sync, it’s starts the sequencer regardless if “Armed” is set to Yes or No.

FWIW - This article, describes the Armed feature among other things.

Quick update one 2 things.

1. I opened a support ticket with Arturia to see if they can figure out why Fl Studio is not working with the ARM feature. For now, I’m living with Seq 1 being empty and syncing to USB.

2. I LOVE this keyboard! Tonight in our jam session, I used the DT with the KS sequencer, and it was a blast. I really thought I wouldn’t use the KS sequencer much, but wow was I wrong.

Turns out that 2 sequencers are way better than 1 :slight_smile:

Hey!

Image-Line fixed the problem, and now the Keystep “Arm to Start” mode works with FL Studio 20! Build 1193. That made my day!

Best regards,

Gino