MIDI issues w/ Roland Aira s1 (solved)

Have both syntakt and digitakt and tried to setup syntakt with the Roland s1 … I got proper audio cable and bought midi adapters cable. I can hear sound on the syntakt when I press Roland keys but struggle with sending midi. Enabled midi on syntakt on same channel as Roland.

Then I thought I can use the syntakt USB with a USB c adapter to the Roland but hear nothing, not even audio when I press the Roland keys.

Could it be just wrong midi type cable and should USB not give me midi and Audio?

Thanks for any insights.

If your s1 has it’s audio is routed through the syntakt then regardless of the midi compatibility, you’ll hear it’s audio coming through the ST when the roland keys are pressed. Most all roland devices that take TRS midi, use a TRS midi type A cable, you’ll need to see if that’s what you purchased. If you bought type B, then that’s probably the issue. I don’t think the usb will help you directly interface between those two devices but someone else can confirm.

If you can confirm whether or not you have a type A cable, that will make it easier to proceed with any troubleshooting.

2 Likes

Looking at my quick $4 purchase on Amazon I now see it’s an Audio cable…the 2 cables that came with my microfreak don’t work either so I bet they are type B while I need type A. Will get to my local store once back open. Thanks for the quick response.

The USB option maybe only meant for connecting to laptop?

Arturia does use TRS midi type B, so any TRS midi cable that came from them isn’t going to be compatible with the Roland. I didn’t think the S1 did USB midi but google says yes, it’s class compliant, so there’s probably a way to do it over USB if you enable output to Midi+USB in Syntakt’s settings under port configuration and set up the S1 to receive (not sure how the menu works there) but you can give it a shot. Never tried it, but Syntakt should be capable if the S1 is also.

FWIW I bought some TRS midi cables from sweetwater for $5 each and they have free shipping so that’s probably still the best deal I’m aware of.

USB would require a USB host like a computer, right? Neither ST or S1 provide USB host functionality.

That was always my belief (host was required) which is why I’ve been using a USB midi host box when needed, but I was told differently in this thread

and I haven’t tried it since to confirm.

Yeah this. S-1 is afaik only client usb class compliant. Same with Elektron devices

1 Like

What I’m reading there is that they are sending MIDI to ST over USB from DAW, not device to device.

2 Likes

Same here

then I’m wrong in how I interpreted the information, and correct in my original belief that a usb host is required.

money well spent.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks. Going back to my non USB question:

now I am in Bali for 6 weeks (without access to music shops) with my syntakt and digitakt and Roland s-1… I got a new type A Midi cable before my flight. Now I get only 4 dashes in the Roland display

Summary:
ST midi out to S1 Midi in and
mix out of the S1 into the input (left) but I get no sound

When pressing play on ST I see the sequencer moving on the S1

Pressing Keys on S1 produces no sound … Midi port both set to 16

Audi in sound is turned up on the ST

Pressing play on the ST and seeing the transport start on the S1 means midi is successfully connected. I don’t know anything about the 4 dashes, my knowledge of the S1 is very limited and you may have better luck searching the S1 thread for info specific to that synth, however, looking at the midi implementation chart I see it shows channel 3 is by default synth and channel 16 is program change, have you tried channel 3 to see if you get sound?

MIDI implementation chart (roland.com)

See if you get anywhere with that, it does seem that the issue before was that you had a type B midi cable and now that you have a type A at least they’re talking. I’m assuming there’s no sound because you’ve given control to the ST but it’s not currently configured for note messages.

I have it working - thanks for listening to complete newbie… I might have the audio cable plugged in wrong too (ups, I know) in the ST. Also went back to channel 3. Thanks again. I can now jam.

Off topic: if anybody knows, just saw my german landsman Ben Böhmer play in Bali tonight… great inspiration for my upcoming weeks here :slight_smile:

anything I make and I like will land on my YT channel, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ymH3alXyo

Do you by chance know the connection process, and the channel/bank setup process you did? I have the exact same problem. I have the right cables. I can get the S1 to control the digitakt but not the other way around.

have all my gear here on my bali trip … will check ASAP @CaptainFuzzy