Midi In to the OT -> Note Hold

Hello everyone,

I’ve set up a Flex Machine to use it with Single Notes & Chords to play. The OT is connected with a Midi Keyboard, that is sending Midi to the Auto-Channel. That’s all great :slight_smile:

So now: if i play notes on the Midi Keyboard on the two octaves where you can chromatically play a sample (in grid recording), the lenght i hold down a key on the midi keyboard doesn’t change the the amount of how long the hit is played (hold time of the trig).

It seams like the hold setting from the amp page is always the length for a trig. So for example if hold is set to 12 and i only quickly touch a key on the keyboard, the trigger will play for those 12 steps.

I would love to have this send from the midi keyboard. But now for example if i switch from a short stab to a bit a longer subbass i always have to change and wiggle the hold time before.

Is that even possible ? :totes:

Yes. With a midi processor, mapping midi Notes Off to Hold = 0 (minimum value).
I think I still have the little script if interested.

Hey,

@sezare56: Yeah would definitly like to see that script. If you still have it somewhere.

Hmm ok but i guess the Midi Processor would come with a certain configuration time that one initially needs to invest correct ? Also i wonder if i could only have that Midi Mapping for one specific OT Track (Midi-Channel).
And i guess it’s not possible to somehow tell my midi keyboard, that note off would also set Hold to 0 ?

thx for the information so far really helped out a lot!

Didn’t find it but it looks like this. Control Change 23 = Hold
You can choose channel, note range, map velocity to VOL, extend note range with lower octave with RATE…

You can try the software to program the EPPlus
http://midisolutions.com/progtool.htm

Not sure to understand. A lot of things possible.
32 events limitation.

Some keyboards /sequencers send Note Off, some send Note On with 0 velocity instead.

1 Like

I’m not a Midi Expert i was just wondering if there would be away around buying a Midi Processor at all and just somehow configure my midi-keyboard so it would map midi notes off to hold. But i guess that’s not possible…correct ?

I don’t know such midi keyboards !

You can try midi processing with MIDIOX (PC) or Bome Midi Translator demo (Bomebox).

Maybe I misunderstood your OP.
Do you want to record or just play live ?
In live, with HOLD set to INF, and REL to small values, the samples are played as long as you hold the key.

The midi processor is needed if you want to record notes with their length.

1 Like

This works as you would expect on my OT, and it doesn’t matter if you’re in grid recording mode or not. So I don’t understand what the issue is…Is this what you want? (Sorry, my phone set a portrait flag instead of landscape)…

Are you sure your midi keyboard sends note-off messages?

@roadmoviemusic: Thank you very much for your efford and making the video. Well here comes the thing: my midi keyboard behaves the same like in your video, BUT if i enable grid recording and hit a key shortly the playback of the sample would be longer, then i hit the key. So in your example: what happens if you activate grid recording mode and just hold the key until you hear “one” on your sample and then let go of the key. do you also just hear “one” when the recorded trigs plays back ? or do you hear “one two three four” ? because that’s exactly the problem i’m having.

So i guess to actually record the lenght (not just play it) i realy would need a midi processor correct ? (like @sezare56 mentioned) To bad iif that’s the case i really thought there would be a way to do this.

1 Like

Ah ok! Sorry, I understand now. You didn’t say you were actually recording, and playing back the recording. That got me confused.
No that’s impossible, in either grid or live recording mode: it’s a step sequencer so a note event is contained within a step, and if you are able to hear sound beyond the step length it’s because of the envelope’s hold time and that is indeed set manually (you can p-lock it). I didn’t study @sezare56 's suggestion, but he’s quite the midi processor expert here so there’s a fair chance he’s correct :wink:
Personally I gave up on midi on the OT and use a Pyramid for sequencing.

1 Like