MIDI hub that doesn’t need a computer

Hi everyone,

so I bought a little USB 4x4 MIDI interface and it’s great, but I have to have my laptop running to use it.

I have been searching for standalone MIDI hubs, and it looks like they are a thing of yesterday; that there are some old faithful MIDI patch bays that still work, but not so many new, modern-era things.

What I want is to be able to connect together my several MIDI devices, without needing my laptop running. In my dream world, it is a smallish box with 4 x DIN MIDI In + Out, a USB host port or two for my OP-1, and a USB port to connect it all to my computer, should I decide to do that.

I prefer not to endlessly chain devices using the MIDI Thru. This is probably mainly because I am mostly a network engineer by day, and chaining switches always brings trouble.

Does this egg laying wool milk pig exist? Or do I have to go and design and build one? I prefer to keep making music, but neccessity is the mother of something or other…

iConnect MIO4 is really plug and play :slight_smile:

4 Likes

+1 on iConnectivity… i have an ICM4+ and its been ace

4 Likes

Ack I had assumed all of the iConnect devices needed a computer companion to work… I will check it out, thank you very much!

1 Like

Ok, that’s like precisely what I was looking for.

Thanks ^^

5 Likes

Can confirm, my ICM4+ has been solid as a rock for years… Mios look good…

2 Likes

It’s also relatively trivial to set up a raspberry pi to do this

1 Like

That’s true. Cheaper and more hackable, too. I have been toying with the idea of turning a raspi into a kordbot type machine, or an arpeggiator, or so.

I think I’ll still get myself an MIO for the “I just wanna jam” days, and perhaps turn my li’l raspi into a midi hacking machine on my hax0r days :smiley:

(do you remember the Yellow Drum Machine? :heart_eyes: )

1 Like

MOTU MIDI express XT or the small version MOTU micro express . - i works with him

I’ve been waiting for this guy to restock and he did today!!!

Same gentleman that makes cvocd. Solid products

1 Like

I use a Kenton midi thru- 1 in/ 5 out. It’s great. Only 1 in may not work for you.

https://www.iconnectivity.com/mioxl

Wow.

5 Likes

Let’s just pray we don’t accumulate enough gear to warrant a purchase of such thing :loopy:

3 Likes

https://www.bome.com/products/bomebox

too late

1 Like