MIDI help - SPP doesn't work while transport is running

I need to use my Morningstar MC6 to navigate between different positions in the arranger for a new live project, and I haven’t worked with song position pointers in the OT before so pardon me if I’m missing something obvious.

I have two buttons on the MC6 programmed to send SPP messages for beat 0 and beat 128 (since I’ll be working with sections that are either two 64 step patterns or one 128 step pattern). Everything works as it should when the OT isn’t playing - if I press button 1 I jump to step 0 (the beginning of the first 128 step pattern, using steps 0-127), and if I press button 2 I jump to step 128 (the start of the second 128 step pattern).

The problem is, if the OT’s transport is running, it completely stops responding to the SPP messages. I’ve been through all of the relevant sections of the OT and MC6 manuals and all the threads on here I could find, and I haven’t gotten any closer to figuring out what’s going on.

What am I missing?

Maybe clock send ?
Send a stop message just before ?

Read the thread if you didn’t. I can’t remember how I succeeded to control OT with SPP but I did.
Maybe you want something particular?

Thanks! That was the first thread I red but somehow I managed to miss the part in that MIDI spec quote that mentions it’s only supposed to work when a device is also receiving external clock.

In the mean time I updated the firmware in the MC6 (I hadn’t updated it in a couple years) and some of the newer stuff in it (or at least stuff I didn’t find in the old version of the editor) lets me do what I needed for this project to do without having to use the arranger at all. I’ll still try to figure SPP in the arranger out since it’ll be useful for other stuff.

1 Like

I used it with midi loopback, for Direct Jump. But it was too complicated. Selecting an Arranger row is much easier is enough for me (without Direct Jump).