Midi flow [Ianh54]

Hi again everybody hope all are well :slight_smile:

Just a midi setup question …
Im running my dark trinity off the clock of my OT and my final device in the chain is my Sub Phatty. So im running midi thru from my Ar to the Ak and then finally to the SP ( as it has no thru). I bought my little boy a mininova for christmas cos he has the synth bug now haha!! But i wanted to i tegrate it intk my setup so i can run the arp and such clocked to the rest of my gear except… I discovered it only has midi in and out. So …
I was gonna pug it in line after the Elektrons and before the SP but im stumped now!! And bei g new to midi etc im not sure therr is a workaround or if it can be done?!
Can anyone suggest a solution to my conundrum?!
Thanks in advance

Peace x

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodqth.htm

+1

Thank you people i shall order one forthwith :slight_smile:

Peace. X

i actually have a midi solutions t8 for sale if ya want.

Read page 34 of the Sub Phatty manual. You can adjust the MIDI MERGE DIN setting so that the MIDI Out port on the SP becomes a MIDI Thru port. You do not need to buy any additional hardware.

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

peterHanes top man i owe you a drink!! :slight_smile:
Peace x

:+1:

Hi everyone - just after a few thoughts on how youd go about setting this lot up with regards to midi. Im still a noob with midi so im only using it to send transport messages and clock messages at mo ( either OT as master or DAW ).
Im sure im missing a lot of tricks - im after syncing it to standalone maschine and vst’s and somehow cant get my head round it.
Right my gear is -
OT
AK
AR
TR8
TB3
Prophet 6
PC with Saffire 2i4 interface.
maschine MK2
I run the hardware into a mixer and out i to the OT and then i to powered monitors.
Im using a midi thu box with the OT as midi out i to the thru box then the outputs split into the ins of most of the gear. Then the thrus of the AK and P6 to link the reat and finally into the in of the saffire. The out of the saffire is going to the in of the OT. Phew!!!
Im very hit and miss - am i best using Maschine/PC as master?!
Any help would be very much appreciated
Peace

Im a bit new to midi and the exact nature of what i can do/control from what.
I understand in out and thru but CC 's and program change elude me. Im a bit simple and find it hard to learn stuff quickly.
Anyways ill get to the point.
I have AK,AR,OT setup as slaves to ableton live - the keys and Rytm and a TR8 through usb and overhub and the OT and a P6 through my Saffire interface. I also have a Maschine Mk2 through usb. But vague maybe and i knlw youll ask what i want to achieve but i suppose im just asking what midi setup you would use with this setup? I guess Id like to control clips/ scenes launching and stopping with Maschine pads and - can i chamge patches as a pattern changes with program change data? So i can change patches on P6 as i change patterns on another device?
Bit vague and a little stupid i know but i kinda just wanna see what im missing control and creativity wise
:slight_smile:

Does any of your gear have a ‘soft thru’ setting for the MIDI out? I basically switches the MIDI out to a thru.

My Korg ARP Odyssey has MIDI in, and nothing else. Not ideal!

(edit) … I tend to just plug my stuff in and hope!

Haha!! Yeah thats what i tend to do but i know im missing out on a lot of control options and workflow improvements. And its bugging me!! Just wondered what other more experienced people would do midi wise with this setup. I geared up towards live hardware use with the OT as the hub ( which worked sweet ) but got the PC and Ableton involved so use the OT as a glorified drum machine at the mo.
Ive got a midi solutions thru box to connct stuff up - my sub phatty had a midi thru like ypu describe which was quite handy :slight_smile:

I need to work out program changes myself. I assume you want some sounds to change when you move the arrangement on in Ableton?

Have a nose at that…

Yeah cool cheers mate top man. Lots of learning to do!!

I used MIDI a long time ago. Just getting back into it after a hiatus of 15 or so years.

I’m a bit rusty, but I believe everything should have its own MIDI channel (Folks may not agree, but I like to work how I used to work, with one ‘instrument’ per MIDI channel with drums on 10). Some items may require a MIDI channel per voice for some functions but program changes can be attached to patterns (or kits?) within the Elektron stuff I believe.

The options available are a bit daunting to me really; I started sequencing on a Commodore Amiga running Octamed. I’m now looking at Ableton with a bunch of new hardware, all of which have a full on sequencer onboard… I think it’s just a case of deciding which will be the main thing to move sections along (probably Ableton?) and maybe consider using a mixing desk to ‘force’ you into deciding which output or track of which bit of gear will provide the Kick, Snare, Sub, Acid Bass line, Pads, FX - whatever instrumentation you use.

This is interesting:

Mate, were so alike! I think i need to sit down and decide on workflow i guess. When i bought my Elektron boxes and hardware gear i planned on playing live without a PC or computer. But im nowhere near good enough so i introduced Ableton for at home.
Now im using ableton more and more and im still learning it, midi, all my gear and the whole electronic music lark after playing guitar for most of my life. Its daunting and at times difficult but very rewarding. Keeps me 'appy anyway!!!
Love Minilogue - love to go play live.
Ill be too old bt then i reckon haha!!