Midi drift - A4 and Rytm

I just started my gear up after not using it for about one week, A4 as slave and is losing midi sync…? first time I’ve ever noticed it, patterns going all over the place…

Any ideas?

Mornin !

• Midi cables attached correctly ?
  • Clock send activated in the Rytm ?
  • Clock recieve activated in A4 ?

These settings are saved within the project

Hi Vos, thanks for response, I think I’ve fixed it… It was nothing to do with faulty leads or activation of clock as they were already activated… I Somehow managed to change beats per bar… anyway all sorted, thanks :wink:

its not fixed at all, it keeps happening…
Anybody with any ideas?
It’s almost like it’s not listening to the rytm at all, I’ve tried other midi cables, It was working for a few hours now completely all over the place… grrrrr

Both machines set to 125 bpm, however the A4 is going faster then the rytm, how is this possible?
I’m watching them both together, this is seriously weird…

it’s doing my head in…

Are you actually synchronizing the two machines using MIDI clock, or are you just setting their tempos to be the same value?

Are you actually synchronizing the two machines using MIDI clock, or are you just setting their tempos to be the same value?[/quote]
yeah, if you’re syncing, the master should say the bpm and the slave should say EXT.

If you’re doing this by hand then of course it will drift.

Yes, its all been synchronised with MIDI clock, when I change tempo on Rytm the tempo changes on A4 (A4 as slave) however the A4 is not keeping tempo, the tempo is changing very slightly going up and down by .1 when watching both at the same time the A4 is going quite a bit faster.

Also sometimes when pressing play on Rytm (master) the A4 skips to bar 2 without playing out the whole of the 1st bar?

Bear in mind this has all been working perfectly fine up until now

Midi loops? Is it a direct connection?

Yes, only the Rytm and A4 in the MIDI chain, one MIDI cable

…if you press play on the rytm, it starts where you stopped it…
so the a4 has to jump to catch ip…hit stop again first if you wanna make sure all statrts on one…

watching a slave tempo in realtime leaves you always with doubts…because there is no stable midi clock on the whole planet…alll gear does that…!

no worries…looks wierder than it sounds…

pretty sure you’re only going mad about it now…to clean your thoughts and doubts and to make sure everything is allright…

take two empy presets on each maschine and turn on the clicks on both…
don’t watch the timing, just listen…

it’s all fine…

V ery small drift is normal, as long as there is no audible drift, don’t worry.

Hi thanks for your time in looking into this, however it is going a lot faster not just a small drift (you can hear going faster and then out of time completely)… I can get them both to start at exactly the same time no problem, but sometimes the A4 skips to next bar, and then continues to go much faster, I’m definitely not going mad, I’ve had Elektron gear for a few years now, this has only just started to happen…

I have been using LFO’s on all tracks a lot lately, do you think the A4 might be getting confused?

…ooops…so houston we got a problem…

still sure you got no free play and different measure settings going on?

…hmmm…tried the other way around?

syncing the rytm with the a4 as the master clocker…

and does the a4 hold the the tempo if it’s running free?

the lfos can mess up the timing and tonality impression a lot…specially when the delay is envolved…
but they can’t overload the a4’s capabilities…at least i guess so…don’t tell me anything else, please…

one thing’s for sure…following a slaved clock with the eyes always leads to the feeling this will never work…no matter what gear you sync…seeing the clock jumping around is a common thing…so stop looking at it…it won’t help you figuring this out…it will only drive you crazy…
but it is NORMAL…

but if it’s really skipping whole beats on the run and loosing the timing plot in an audible way completly, this is serious trouble…

if the a4 runs smooth alll alone and the rytm follows the a4 corectly, i really don’t know what’s going on there…and you better get yourself a ticket…

maybe there is some quarz involved and it’s not tuned right anymore…
whatsoever…i start perfoming on daily bases with an ot/a4 setup for the first time soon, so please keep us updated what happens here…

Def try two blacnk projects as suggested. As you say you are familiar with Elektron gear, please don’t think I’m being patronising but:

1. You def have the A4 slaved to the Rytm for tempo as well as transport controls?
  2. There are no pattern length differences? You haven’t accidentaly put, say 63 steps into the A4 or something daft like that giving an impression of being out of time?
  3. Does it happen when you slave the other way around? Try having the A4 as master.
  4. Cabling ok? Connections fine? Nothing potentially intefering?

It does sound like a potential midi loop. This may be utter bullshit, I dunno, but I haven’t had midi issues since powering on machines in order of the midi chain (laptop, OT, Rytm then AK for me).

Can’t think of an LFO setting that could be playing havok unless it was somehow tied in to the start point of a pattern. I don’t even know if that is possible!

Hi peeps, thanks for all your input, I won’t be able to play around for a couple of days now as quite busy, but will update accordingly when I get chance… Fingers crossed, I really hope get this sorted :wink:

Hi !
I am syncing AR and A4 and the slave tempo (no matter which one I set as slave) is drifting ± 0.1 BPM . I can’t hear the displayed fluctuation but I want to know if any of you experience the same: https://youtu.be/0aBE3dmkqKQ

Thanks!

Can’t remember the why behind this one but I thought it was normal (or, at least, regular) behaviour on these units. Certainly happened for me when I used to own both.

3 Likes

I got the same thing, have you by chance found a solution?

it seems to be normal if there are no audible fluctuations.
can’t see/appreciate the “drifts” in the DAWs recorded audio wave neither .

1 Like