MIDI double-triggers for every step?

Searching the forum only brings up stories of infinite triggering… I am having a situation where every MIDI trig is double-triggering my Polyend Perc beaters. Am I missing something? (Actually, now I see the same thing happens when sending a MIDI note from Machinedrum and Octatrack to the Perc beaters).

This doesn’t happen with other MIDI sequencers. Have I missed a setting somewhere? I hope so, as I am dreaming of using these Perc beaters with conditional trigs…

Are the beaters recognizing MIDI Note Off messages (Note On with 0 velocity) as Note On messages?

2 Likes

That’s precisely what I think is happening. Weird that it doesn’t seem to happen in Cenk’s Digitakt MIDI tracks video. This is why I wondered if I was missing some setting or something.

I sent a message to Polyend and they informed me that they are using Elektron sequencers with Perc without issue. They also said that it isn’t due to how Perc handles note-off or 0-velocity note-ons. So… good news in that it seems to be something I am doing incorrectly rather than an inherent problem in the hardware/software. Bad news that I have no idea what I’ve done to confuse the things…

So I will keep looking. I will start by trying from scratch with new projects, etc.

It’s definitely happening when I lift my finger from the trig… push on trig, I get a note. Lift my finger, another note. Whether or not it’s due to the way an Elektron note-off is sent or a Perc receives it, it is indeed occurring when I terminate the note.

Did a factory reset on the Digitone, created a new project and assigned the first MIDI track to channel 5. Pushed a ‘key’ and… double trigger. One for when I pressed the key and one for when I lifted it. Frustrating. Moreso because it plainly isn’t happening in @Dataline’s Digitakt MIDI Tracks video.

Looking at the incoming MIDI data via Pocket MIDI shows that the Digitone is indeed only sending a pair of notes, the second with 0 velocity. As far as I know, this is not unusual and should be understood by the target MIDI device. Curious that the Percs don’t get it, particularly as they are velocity-sensitive.

1 Like

Just updated the Analog Keys and the new MIDI sequencer tracks. At first I thought it was doing the same thing, but after a bit of exploration, it turns out that the Analog Keys is indeed triggering the Perc beater it as it should! Hooray! Still no joy for the Digitone, but at least my dreams of Conditional Trigs + Perc can now become a reality. I’m off to update the Analog Rytm next…

2 Likes

It works properly with the Analog RYTM as well, though only after some fidgeting with the note length parameter (the same doesn’t work in Digitone, alas). More and more I feel as if I am missing something obvious.

Ah well, it’s probably more natural to sequence the Percs with the RYTHM anyway…

Does shorter or longer work better?

Either extreme end of the dial works. Not in the case of the Digitone, however.

1 Like