Midi controller - Launch Control XL

Thanks! but Iā€™ve actually made my own java app which works for rerouting launch control midi to the OT via my laptop. Hopefully itā€™ll run on the raspberry piā€¦ Failing that Iā€™ll follow these instructions

Hello there fellow takticians,
I just sold my Akai MIDIMIX and picked up a Novation LCXL today.
After configuring the CC values, it seems to be working well. However, the mute keys arenā€™t lighting up as I had hoped they would when toggling the mute state (which functions as expected BTW).

Anyone had this happen? Solutions?
Thanks in advance.

After some research, I found the sysex programmerā€™s guide for the LCXL and using BOME (MIDI utility and sysex editor), I have managed to send the hexadecimal code to get the pads to light up, but Iā€™m really out of my depth here and canā€™t work out how to make the lights toggle nor do I know how to successfully add the hex to the sysex file created by the LCXL editor.

Getting those pads to light up to show the mute state of tracks is kind of why I bought the damn thing in the first place. It would be even better if there was a possibility to control Pattern Mute rather than just Global Mute.

edit:

UPDATE -
It looks like there might be a way to get the pads to toggle their LEDs using a BomeBox and a custom script written the helpful Steve Caldwell (for a fee). Sadly this is not an option for me.

My brief conversation with Steve on the Bome Q&A forum is here - https://www.bome.com/support/kb/toggle-button-lights-on-launch-control-xl-question

2 Likes

Seems like a lot of work to me.
Why not use digitakt in the mode you want , and use controller to do ā€˜normalā€™ things , in essence flipping round the use of the digitakt buttons and how you want to use controller ?

Yea, it is/ was.
I guess I just canā€™t accept how the LCXL comes as standard and should move on.

Itā€™s just a pity that I canā€™t find a way to make the controller do what I want, despite the fact that the correct hexadecimal code is supplied in the ā€˜programmers reference guideā€™ that is downloadable from the Novation site.

So imagine I want track 7 and 8 of the DT to respond to the same fader on the LCXL.

I have to set track 7 & 8 to the same midi channel on the DT right?

Also if I want to use the same LCXL for Digitone, i van simply plug in the following midi setup right?

LCXL (out) > DT (in)
DT (out) > DN (in)

Thanks! Im away from home so cant test this arm.

1 Like
  1. Yes
  2. This works but you would then control the DT and the DN at the same time.
3 Likes

Cool!

1. Then Iā€™ll be able to set them to other channels no?

Yes

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks a lot man, going to try as soon as I get back home:))

1 Like

Does work ā€œautochannelā€ and ā€œcontrol allā€ from the digitakt as well with the LCXL?

i am just messing around what is the best portable controller. I also have an old brc2000, which is @home perfect (but not already mapped)

As I understand it, ctrl all is an integrated feature on the DT and wonā€™t work with any external controller

Hey All,

Is there any news on a template for using the digitakt with the LCXL?

1 Like

any one launch control xl template so ?

thank you

:grinning:

Really a shame these donā€™t have MIDI DIN.

I find this plus the smaller original pretty attractive.
Anything similar, without stretching to FaderFox?

just get a Usb-to-midi converter and you can use your Launch Control XL with any hardware you like.

2 Likes

link does not work anymore, is it shared somewhere else?

With the latest firmware, can we plug this in directly? Was tempted by a Faderfox but if this does the job Iā€™d go for this.

Can the filters be controlled by MIDI, per track?