MIDI controller in my setup (multiple elektrons)

Hi elektronauts,

I’m finally reaching a stable setup lately and would just like to add an external controller for my dark trinity. I’ve heard good things on the Novation Launch Control XL and would just like a confirmation that it will technically fit in my setup MIDI-wise to control the elektrons.

My setup (the “>” represents MIDI direction) is the following:
OT (master) > RYTM > A4 > MIDI splitter > one MIDI goes to my modular MIDI/CV interface, the other goes to Ableton via my soundcard.

This setup allows me to have AR+A4 channels routed in Ableton via overbridge but everything slaved to OT, which is more stable than OB (at least with my old 2009 mac…). So my question is: connecting the LC XL to my mac via USB, will I be able to control the elektrons? Will I need to reroute the MIDI so that it also goes out of my soundcard into the elektrons or can it pass via OB?

Hoping someone has already solved integrating an external controller into the dark trinity via a DAW basically.

Thanks!

nope don’t think so. you can set the usb up to be OB or midi/usb, not both.

might be better for you to get one of those usb host devices like kenton or iconnectmidi

Well it does seem to work both OB and MIDI simultaneously since the elektrons are connected via direct MIDI yet still controlable via the OB interface plugin…
To be clear, the AR and A4 are in overbridge mode, but not synced by OB (USB).

Older thread but also interested…

How did you find setting up the Novation and Kenton midi/usb?

Did you find it difficult to map the Novation?

Did you get the Novation? How do you find it if you did?

I haven’t bought the Novation yet for money reasons, I might in the future. If you do get it let me know how it fits.

Ordered it this week - once I get it set up will report back.