Midi controller for OT

That Octacontrol thing looks nice! Though one thing is funny about it. Several years ago I made a logo for a DIY controller for the Shruthi DIY synth. The thing should have been named Octopot and had a cute little octopus for a logo. Unfortunately the project was abandoned by the maker… but now I can’t help but think that maybe they had seen the logo somewhere after seeing this. Both the maker of the Octopot and these guys are from Germany, so it’s possible.
I guess the pun with 8 - octo - octopus is a pretty obvious one anyway, it might also be just be that they had the same idea :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@papernoise Remember the video Elektron made to introduce a new firmware + the return of OT in Elektron store… There was an octopus tagged on the wall.
I’ve always felt like the octopus <-> octatrack link may have been made from the start.
But maybe you’re the origin of such association, who knows…

I guess that’s more likely indeed! As I said, octa == octopus is a pretty obvious association. But yeah, I kind of found it funny to see a controller with a kind of similar logo. :slight_smile:

Anyway, since I’m posting here already, might as well post something that is actually useful for the community. So let me add that I own a Faderfox UC4 and totally love it. It’s small easy to use and very well built. The faders might be a bit tiny for people who have bigger hands, but it also depends on the type of action you want these faders to respond to and the good thing is that it won’t take up too much space. Just be aware of those MIDI cables. It doesn’t use the same polarity like for example the ones Korg has on the Electribe 2, I think it’s reversed, so the Korg Jack-DIN adapters won’t work.

1 Like

Thanks Cosmic, good to know, evaluating the Kenton USB Midi host now vs. the iconnectmidi4…

1 Like

I did think the KMix had potential as a controller for the OT but I had a look at the manual and realised that it’s midi implementation prevents you from assigning different midi channels to different faders / buttons etc

So there is no way of mapping a ‘mode’ (there are 3 midi modes available) to control more than one OT track.

I’ve been in touch with their support people to encourage them to retook at this and they are looking at it however if a few more people let them know this functionality would be useful for them it might help.

At the moment they think I’m the only person in the world interested!

1 Like

I was considering K mix aswell, where do i send a mail to tell them there is more than one interested in using it with octatrack?

Use the support ticket page to let the K Mix people know your interest:

http://support.keithmcmillen.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I’m sure he’d like to know if more people care about this function.

Hello all,
Apologies for what I know is going to be an easy fix to an obvious question.
I just got a pc4 today. Its set up and receiving and sending midi data no problem.
I am attempting to use the midi learn function on the faderfox.
However the octa only seems to be sending midi data from the cross fader and not any of the pots.
Ive messed about with the options I can see in the OT’s menus but to no avail.
Anybody got any ideas? Im sure its an easy fix I just can’t find it.
Thanks

EDIT

Just found the answer, I’ve copy and pasted what worked for me here incase others need this info.

ok I just found out, so in case anybody at some point has the same problem:

Whichever channels are selected in the 8 MIDI tracks, will not be available to control the sample tracks via MIDI.
In my case I couldnt control Track 1 and 3, because they were connected to MIDI channel 1 and 3, which I also chose to control my synths via the MIDI tracks

At about 4:18 there’s a tentacle!

Launch control XL and the Octatrack connected via iConnectMidi4+ indeed work great together, very happy with this box!

1 Like

Hello,

I would like to use my Livid DS1 controller via the Kenton Usb to control my Octatrack, so if someone have some tips or know if something exist already would be great !!! thx

Same. Anyone doing this?

What are you trying to do?

What difficulties are you experiencing?

I’m just considering a DS1 at this point, but expanding my OT would probably be its main use case. Haven’t heard too much about the pair in use.

great thread!! just bought a Waveidea Bitstream 3x on ebay, hopefully arriving this week! cant wait to try it

1 Like

question to all bitstream x3 owners … any chance of running the editor on the latest osx? the last editor beta seems pretty outdated. Cant start because its not power pc anymore :confused:

I considered the DS-1 as well, however I choose to go for the Launch Control XL an I am very happy I did.
Very simple to set up, I loaded the template from Calc and made a few changes. I bought the iConnectMidi4 as well, it works perfectly with the LCXL.

Of course the DS-1 looks awesome, but it will cost you a lot more. The LCXL is worth every penny, well build, easy to set up and it works flawless.

Next step is to get Konkreet Performer running via The iConnectMidi to control the RYTM it’s Performances, but that’s off topic, but if that works It would be working with the Octatrack as well.

1 Like

hi folks,
Im diggin this thread up because I’d like to know if it’s possible to control parameters of the MIDI tracks externally? Seems not to work, but maybe someone knows better.

It is possible. The parameters can be controlled by MIDI Control Change messages as listed on page C-2 of the manual.

1 Like