Midi controller for OT

I would like to know how you people set up the UC4 with the OT.

So far I get everything working it’s more a question of which parameters are most important for you guys when setting up the UC4 or any other midi controller since I think there are a lot of parameters to use and not really enough pages at least not in the UC4.

Cheers!

I have just seen on the faderbox website that they can make custom controller. Maybe one day we should contact them to see if it would be possible for them to make a controller specificaly for the OT (or the A4).
That would be so nice !

I totally agree on that!

I actually sent him an email today about this so I hope he knows how many of us would buy a machine.

Cheers!

this one is interesting :slight_smile:

http://www.modemachines.com/products/catalogue/cerebelusb/

I recently got an Arturia BeatStep (regular), is a great size and with 2 rows of 8 pads and knobs, a prefect match to map across 8 tracks of OT. Very pleased with how much more accessible lots of things in OT for 100 bucks :wink:

Does anyone have the CS X51? ( http://www.machinewerks.co.uk/cs-x51 )
It looks perfect for my purposes with the OT, but there are absolutely no opinions about it online :confused:
I need to know if its capable of MIDI-merging, so I can connect a Keyboard to it to play the synths I connected to the OT.

another option would be the Faderfox PC4, which has been discussed in this thread.
Can someone tell me if it has MIDI-merging capability?
And are the knobs easy to turn? (for very fast Filter Cuts!)
Ive owned the Novation Launch COntrol XL and I found its faders to have to much reesistance

Hey russv! I’m working on doing the same thing with my beatstep so I can finger drum more effectively on the OT. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you map yours out?

I also use the beatstep, best match so far, clear and simple layout, small but robust. I map the audio and midi mutes to the pads, and volume and fx2 send for the knobs (a bit jumpy sometimes tho). Sometimes i use it to play the midi tracks.

Hey russv! I’m working on doing the same thing with my beatstep so I can finger drum more effectively on the OT. If you don’t mind me asking, how did you map yours out?[/quote]
My main preset is just like Basslines, mutes on the pads, track volume and effect #2 send on the knobs.
I am thinking of other presets to able to play tracks and slices from the pads. I haven’t done that yet, as the first preset is really what I was after for extra control

ive got an OKTAKONTROL, love it…

A while back I found an M-Audio 49 keyboard with a broken key bed (useless and not worth repairing)
The casing has a CPU control board, an 8 fader circuit, 8 pots as well as 8 mute buttons.

I have yet to build a case to house these remaining guts but it works like a wonder with an MD. (aside from the fact that 16 faders would have been ideal. I now own an OT as well, this will be perfect.

In my opinion this is probably the best route.

Buy or find a cheap midi controller, de-solder the pots and faders, figure out your own “best layout” , put on some nice pot caps and put everything in a nice black matching case.

DIY always yields the best results.

I was pleased to see that my old beat up Korg nanokontrol 1 works a treat. I pair it with the the cerebel USB midi host that mode machines makes. I map the combo record of tracks 1-8 on all the top buttons for each track, and play to the bottom button for each track. I have the knobs mapped to release time for each track (it took a lot of tinkering to figure out how useful that is, especially because 100% release + loop makes each track like a little one layer loop pedal without using pickup machines), and the faders mapped to start time. I play synth with my right hand and use my left to grab samples live while i’m playing, then all of them are there for instant playback.

I also use a KMI soft step for foot activated recording and a Quneo for when I really want the finger drumming feel. But the little dinky Korg does it all on one box in a pinch, and you can get them on eBay / guitar center used for like $30

2 Likes

I was pleased to see that my old beat up Korg nanokontrol 1 works a treat. I pair it with the the cerebel USB midi host that mode machines makes. I map the combo record of tracks 1-8 on all the top buttons for each track, and play to the bottom button for each track. I have the knobs mapped to release time for each track (it took a lot of tinkering to figure out how useful that is, especially because 100% release + loop makes each track like a little one layer loop pedal without using pickup machines), and the faders mapped to start time. I play synth with my right hand and use my left to grab samples live while i’m playing, then all of them are there for instant playback.

I also use a KMI soft step for foot activated recording and a Quneo for when I really want the finger drumming feel. But the little dinky Korg does it all on one box in a pinch, and you can get them on eBay / guitar center used for like $30

I have a McMillen K-Mix on pre-order, apart from all other things it does, it could also work as a midi controller for the OT (I’m thinking volume, mutes and maybe pan), I will report back in a couple of weeks…

is anybody using a Faderfox PC4?
Im just trying to set it up via its MIDI learn function and for some reason Track 1 and Track 3 dont send any MIDI to the PC4. Its just those two Tracks which dont send MIDI and only in this particular project.
Any ideas what I might have adjusted dfferent on these two channels?

ok I just found out, so in case anybody at some point has the same problem:

Whichever channels are selected in the 8 MIDI tracks, will not be available to control the sample tracks via MIDI.
In my case I couldnt control Track 1 and 3, because they were connected to MIDI channel 1 and 3, which I also chose to control my synths via the MIDI tracks.

Hi, is anyone using the Launch Control XL in combination with the iConnectMidi2+ and does it work well? And is it still possible to feed the Octatrack also with midi clock at the same time?

I use the launchcontrol xl with the iconnectmidi4 and I send midi clock to the OT as well as the midi data from the xl. Works beautifully!

1 Like

Thanks! Assume it is no difference for the connectmidi2!

Connectmidi,2 is not a usb midi host I think better check that.