Midi controller for OT

It depends on the MIDI controller, and on what you want to do.

If you want to send exactly the same messages to both OTs, you could simply connect MIDI Thru from OT1 to MIDI In on OT2.

If you want to send different messages to the two OTs, you could possibly set up the MIDI channels on both and use MIDI Thru again (if the controller can send on different MIDI channels) or you could use a MIDI Thru/splitter box.

What do you have in mind?

Im thinking of getting a second OT for some extra outputs.
I would use the cue outs on both and then have 4 mono outs per OT, which would be nice for multitrack recording.
So both OTs would have 4 main tracks + a neighbour track for each one.

And I would wanna use for example this guy here

to control some basic stuff of the 8 main tracks (e.g. volume, pitch, decay)

WHY do you all want to control the octatrack with an external midi controller ?
Is it so interesting ?
give example s
thanks !

I want to control Track Levels, Mute, rec arm, and some effects and perhaps retrigger directly and hands on, especially in a live situation.
still using my m-audio axiom, but soon will get the faderfox uc4

@dekalboy:
I finally managed to get the korg nanokontrol2 to manage the tracks of my OT.
To be able to control the level of several tracks at the same time is an advantage.
I set one control to the effect amount and that makes the sound a lot more dynamic and versatile.

Solo / Mute and even arm for record can be maneged with this small 50 euro device.

As I have some buttons left, I will try to change patterns with them or parts…

To me it just makes the experience with the OT better…

regards

F.

1 Like

How Do you connect the nanokontrol? IConnectivity? Kenton Host?

As i use Ableton, I have connected it through that.
Ableton serves as the midi router, some guy here gave me the hint to create Midi track 1 - 8 and 11 and route the controls by that.

regards

F.

we use 2 faderfox uc4,
both receive power from a usb psu.
both output their midi data via midi din directly to the OTs and they’re really simple and easy to use!

I’m trying to program my PC4 to control the Octatrack, but I can’t seem to get the mappings to stick. Octa is set to receive MIDI CC, so I think I’m missing something about making the assignments in the PC4. Did you find that easy to sort out on the UC4? The Faderfox documentation is sparse, but seems straightforward.

It’s nice to have.
I don’t take the midi controller to every show, but for certain situations it’s fun.
For example, simultaneous discrete control of parameters on multiple tracks (e.g. Fx sends or EQs).
In my opinion the encoders on the OT should have a free assignment mode (varying CCs is possible via physical midi loopback, but not per channel)

Kool!
Is battery power or power via midi also possible?

I have found that for controlle the octatrack

1 Like

Launchcontrol XL: Too bad it’s USB Midi only, so you’ll need an extra Midi host, e.g., Kenton, IConnect, or a Computer.

Best,
Hans

1 Like

Just setup a Raspberry Pi and midisport 2x2 as midi host. Works great, cheaper than other host devices and has 4 usb ports (RPi 2).

What software are you running on your Pi?

Just the Raspbian OS. I can write up a little tutorial if you want. I have class tonight but maybe in the next few days I’ll get some info up.

Here I am plugging in an KMI QuNexus and a MidiSport 2x2 into the RPi and routing the information from the QuNexus to MIDI Port A Out on the MidiSport. The RPi is powering both devices. I’m pretty sure you could use one of those cheap midi/USB cable interfaces too.

1. Starting with a stock RPi, powered on, running Raspbian Jessie and connected to network/internet.

2. Either pull up the terminal on the RPi or ssh into it over a network.

3. Plug in both devices into the USB ports on the RPi

4. I needed the driver for my MidiSport so I had to type:

sudo apt-get install midisport-firmware

to download and install the driver. The QuNexus is class compliant so it works as-is.

1. type:

aconnect -o

to see the output devices connected to the RPi.
you should see client numbers followed by the names of the devices.
I have something like:

client 20: ‘QuNexus’
client 24: ‘MidiSport 2x2’

1. type:

aconnect ‘QuNexus’:0 ‘MidiSport 2x2’:0

this tells aconnect to send midi from QuNexus port 1 to MidiSport port 1
you could also type:

aconnect 20:0 24:0

and it will do the same.
play some notes and it should be working. The problem is that every time you startup the RPi, you will have to re-connect the devices using aconnect. This is fixed by writing a bash script with the same aconnect command and set it to run at startup. Here is a link that shows how to do that:[url=“http://www.raspberry-projects.com/pi/pi-operating-systems/raspbian/scripts”]

http://www.raspberry-projects.com/pi/pi-operating-systems/raspbian/scripts

I hope this helps.

4 Likes

Oh that’s fantastic. I haven’t messed directly with ALSA too much. I didn’t realize you could just plug an input port into an output port like that. Cheers!

Just took delivery of a Faderfox UC4. While the device looks cool it’s also pretty small. I’ll check it out, but I’m not a 100% sure it’s a keeper due to the size. I probably should’ve checked the measurements before ordering.

Hans

All I gotta say is the OT with the proper controller is beast mode!!! I use the Novation Launchcontrol xl.