Midi controller for OT

I picked up a Launch Control XL recently to use with Ableton and Resolume and was crossing my fingers that it would also work with my Octatrack using the Kenton MIDI/USB host. The Kenton box powers the Launch Control and everything seems to be working fine, but when I test it to see if its sending any MIDI CC messages, I get nothing… Has anyone else had any luck with this? Its such a nice affordable controller, it would great to use with OT.

the OT has to be setup correctly, i don’t use a controler but based on readings on Elektronauts you may need tweaking with your midi setup

This may help

1 Like

For me, definitively the AG-KW. The most organic, simple, evolutive, Octatrack and Analog Rytm “made for” and shaped as
. I’ll order mine soon. :wink:

1 Like

cool but hard to get these days
i don´t know if they still in production, at the moment they are out of stock regarding CME

Cheers baddcr!! Hope u enjoy it. The bitstream is the most solid midi controller i’ve ever used (and have used a few) its never failed me in any way. The only thing is that u heve to use the editor all the time, but can live with that once u get ur head round it. Apart from that, ace controller!

what exactly makes the bitstream better than a novation remote zero?
(or even a nanokontrol with kenton usb host?)

The fact that the mapped controllers always stay there. For me, every controller i had (had 4 dif ones in the past) messed up with the them, suddenly loosing all the mappings or scrambling them after a while…
Then 35 knobs, 8 faders, arpegiator, automation, ribbon controller, 2 midi out and other kind of midi to connect old gear. 20 page memory settings…
A bit heavy tho cos of the metal encasing

UC33e is not bad either. Have mine for 10 years now. Never let me down. I also have UC16 even longer (my first knobby controller) but didn’t use it with OT yet. Might add it as extra two knobs per channel. Both can run via USB only through iConnectMIDI 4+ and that even without powered USB hub.

Big plus is easy onboard CC assignment. I still have to try to make some presets like I saw in Bitstream template mentioned above and in other thread. Btw, Bitstream looks really tempting with it’s LFO and motion recorder.

Just thought I’d throw Lemur into the Mix, unbeatable in terms of programmability and bi-directional control. Also don’t forget that a raspberry pi (or similar) can be programmed as a low latency usb class compliant host on the cheap

Lemur is neater connecting into A4 etc as it can just connect to the USB port, so you’d need to have a USB midi adaptor (or dedicated device) for iPad with the OT

Some great options on this thread.
haven’t tried Oktakontrol but looks amazing

(full disclosure we are Nektar dealers)
the P4/P6 controllers are also very nice, very slick interface and well built (We only carry what we use)

We are customizing our in house elektron boxes , waiting to reassemble Octatrack.

We are considering carrying these as an all around DAW/Hardware control surface.

Biggest selling point for us would be getting the Octatrack crossfader to respond to Tweaker crossfader via midi

The tweaker has an intuitive editor all parameters are midi assignable.

8 trigger pads velocity sensitive with aftertouch

[u]ELECTRIX TWEAKER[/u]

[ul]
[li]2 CHANNEL DJ STYLE INTERFACE [/li]
[li]32 BUTTON GRID WITH MULTICOLOR LED FEEDBACK[/li]
[li]8 BACKLIT VELOCITY SENSITIVE PADS WITH AFTER TOUCH[/li]
[li]6 PUSH BUTTON ENCODERS[/li]
[li] 5-WAY NAVIGATION SELECTOR[/li]
[li]LARGE PUSH ENCODER (JOG WHEEL)[/li]
[li]USB BUS POWERED OR WITH EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY[/li]
[li]MIDI IN/OUT[/li]
[li]PLUG AND PLAY MAC/PC (USB)[/li]
[/ul]

EXTREMELY FLEXIBLE CONTROL OPTIONS
ALL PARAMETERS/KNOBS/FADERS/BUTTONS ARE MIDI ASSIGNABLE
CREATE EDITOR TEMPLATE TO CONTROLDAW LIKE BITWIG STUDIO
ABLETON LIVE (TEMPLATE INCLUDED)

SOME IDEAS FOR USES:

CONTROL HARDWARE LIKE ELEKTRON OCTATRACK
TRIGGER AUDIO SAMPLES WITH 8 TRIGGER PADS
FADERS CAN BE ASSIGNED TO MASTER VOLUME AND CUE OUTS
CROSSFADER ASSIGNABLE TO OCTATRACK CROSSFADER A/B FUNCTION
(WAITING TO VERIFY IF THIS IS POSSIBLE)
ASSIGN PUSH BUTTON LED KNOBS TO SYNTH EFFECTS PARAMETERS
MIDI INPUT/OUTPUT (CAN BE POWERED BY EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY) SO NO NEED FOR EXTRA DEVICE TO CONVERT USB TO MIDI FOR HARDWARE.

Thank you for the input. This Electrix tweaker looks great.

Yeah I think the least expensive option I believe out of all the other options so far.
I was looking at the editor and the the 2 buttons beneath the vertical faders can also be assigned. It would be pretty cool to be able to route them to the sceneA/B buttons on the Octa

I have an Octatrack coming soon.
Already have a Panorama P4, so once I learn how to operate it I might look in to if using it as a MIDI controller adds anything to the experience.

I see there is already a preset to download on their site:
http://www.nektartech.com/s.nl/ctype.KB/it.I/id.1675/KB.666/.f

Perhaps anyone already versed in the ways of the Octatrack can judge if it looks useful. =)

Hello, I haven’t read the whole post, so I don’t know if this device has been showed by somebody. Probably it won’t control everything on the octatrack but it could work

http://www.synthtopia.com/?s=octatrack+control&submit=Search

Regards!

hi chandos,
did you ever get anywhere with the Launch control XL ?

I’ve been using a nanokontrol with a kenton midi usb host and it works fine with the Octatrack, but doesn’t seem to work with the Launchcontrol.

Anyone have any suggestions?

user “circumstance” just wrote this in the thread “OT as effects unit for …”

thought this might be interesting here as well
new faderfox, with midi out!

http://faderfox.de/pc4.html

I just had email contact with Mathias from faderfox.

the PC4 has all we want:

• midi out (mini klinke, with cheap adapter cable to 5 pin)
  • cc programmable per knob with different midi channels
  • changing presets/templates on the hardware directly
  • really compact
  • midi merge via minikline midi in

and there´s more:

before summer 2015 there will be an UC4 with 8 faders and x-fader, same specs as above!

you can merge theme via midi, it´s like a modular controller system!

I´m stoked, finally compact controllers with midi out!
Yes!

andajazz

Was looking at the PC4, wondering about the UC4, and came across the SC4.

This looks seriously a seriously interesting bride for the OT.
Has 8 mute buttons.
Also 8 push encoders with 8 sub groups - total 128 parameters.
LED parameter values (would need midi input to be useable though)

• a built in sequencer.
    Midi DIN out
    30 memories for the above settings.

Overall it seems like a great way to be able to spontaneously mix control of parameters from different OT tracks on the fly.

Prevously loved the faderfox stuff but the locked cc assignments were useless for hardware assignments. Hope this is sorted.

1 Like

new usb one by samson, faders and pads not usual in a small box