Midi controller for OT with clock pass through?

I read a few threads about midi controllers and didn’t find the information I’m looking for, I’m looking for a fader/button/knob type midi controller which has a midi in and midi out with soft thru so that midi clock recieved can be passed to the OT. I have tried to find out from looking in some manuals but so far none of the ones I looked at had any mention of this.

Surely this is a fairly common requirement, so I’m sure that some must offer this feature - any Octatrack users got a midi controller that does it? I quite like the look of the faderfox uc4 because it is tiny but if it can’t do soft thru then it is a no go, I’d be interested in any small 8 fader device that can do it.

If I’m understanding you, you’re wanting a fader box that merges midi out with midi thru? Off the top of my head I can’t think of a controller that does that so I’d be looking at small merge box. I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong though. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I know my Remote SL had 2 out ports and, though I never used the feature, had some pretty advanced routing capabilities maybe that might be a direction to pursue

1 Like

You might not want another box but with my ICM4+ I attach everything to that, distribute clock from master device to all slaves, and can control the OT easily from any device even usb midi devices…

I can even play and control any device I have from any other device I have just by enabling the routing and I never have to rewire…

Best move I ever made midi wise was getting the ICM4+…

3 Likes

Nord Lead II offered a menu option of “Midi Out also functions as Midi Thru”.
why this is not a standard option on all synthesizers and groove boxes is one of life’s greatest mysteries.

it would also be very convenient if the Octatrack also offered this as a menu option.
currently my Octatrack is running on the Clock/Start-Stop from the Machinedrum, and so when sequencing the se02, it is not possible to have the se02’s LFO clock-synced.

i suppose if necessary i will go for the Kenton Midi Merge box, moderately inexpensive although if Midi functionality conveniences were more common, the device would not be required.

3 Likes

The UC4’s manual implies that it can do this: see the “Routing” section. The Faderfox person (Mathias) is an Elektronaut @faderfox, so it should be easy to confirm.

The WaveIdea Bitstream 3X and Novation Remote SL Mk II can also definitely do this, although you may not count them as “small”.

4 Likes

RemoteSL can do this for sure.

UC4 can do that as it has midi in and out ports with merge functionality.

3 Likes