Midi controller for digitakt

Hey everyone

I have been thinking of adding a midi controller to pair with the digitakt.to make changes easier rather having to go into individual pages.i know some of you are all ready doing this.so for example if I have a fader fox controller how do I implement the changes to the midi controller and assign each pot or fader a function on the digitakt is this done by software ?
Thanks in advance

On the Faderfox UC4 you can map the controls directly from the hardware - one of the reasons I got it.

3 Likes

Are you using a digitakt ?

I use it to control mostly the OT, but some parameters from the DT as well

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about getting a fader fox specifically for the OT so all parameters are easy to reach without having to change pages. There wouldn’t be any difference in getting one to use with the DT. You’d have direct access to everything and having it mapped to your preferences would be a performance enhancement as far as I see it. There are other controllers you could look at as well such as the BCR2000 which would be another great one to map as you see fit.

1 Like

You’ll need to double check the manual of the one you are interested in but most of the faderfox’s allow direct assignment from the hardware. A very nice feature. Going back and forth between a software editor and the hardware gets old fast.

Beyond the faderfox products I must mention how well usb-midi has been working for me. There are a whole group of usb-midi only controllers that I ignored thinking usb midi would be slow, buggy, whatever. I was wrong. I use a usb host box (early iconnnect midi) and it works great. I also built a quick raspberry pi based one that worked even better (I could tweak the config exactly to my needs a bit better). Something to keep in mind if you see a usb controller you really like (though I suppose all usb midi controllers use software to adjust the cc mappings).

Whatever you decide upon - add something. I think you’ll find yourself very happy using a midi controller with any of the Elektron boxes (or with any hardware for that matter).

4 Likes

Like @tr909, I also use an older 1st gen iConnectivity, ICM-0101 USB MIDI host to connect USB MIDI devices that don’t have a DIN MIDI port to Elektron gear.

My current preference is the MIDI Fighter Twister thanks to its portability despite having large and comfortable encoders, as well as its high level of customization.
The LED color bars and LED indicator dots can each be tailored to your needs, and that personalization really helps to make sense of a 4x4 encoder grid (it also has 4 banks which is handy for synth programming).
The encoders are also push buttons which I use to reset values, but they can also send MIDI notes which is helpful in mapping to a DAW.

Generally, I use it as a mixer for OT, offloading levels and EQs to the Twister where I can develop some muscle memory there and not have to page between tracks all the time just to change the common parameters used for simple mixing
It frees me up to do more cross fader jumping, muting, re-sequencing. fx tweaks.
And all of this (besides cross fader jumping) could be translated to Digitakt.

I justified it over a $280 Faderfox because DJTechTools was running a $159 sale on it, and I figured that even with the added cost of a USB MIDI host, the total price was comparable enough and I really really like encoders with indicators (always wanted a Nord Lead Rack 3). Plus it is far more portable than the BCR2000, which is a great controller in its own right, I’m just tight on space.

Lots more info in that link above, in this post.

3 Likes

Cheers for the info I was using fader fox just as example so it’s good to know their are other options out their which I will definitely be looking into aswell.i see loopop released a vid today on a fader fox which was a bit of a coincidence

Cool I hadn’t taught about a midi fighter tbh loving your tracks btw

1 Like