MIDI CC / Pattern Change Help!

Hi folks,

I’m using a Digitakt to control my Octatrack (doing it that way for now due to the DT late pattern change bug). Everything has been working great for the past few weeks. I use pattern change on the DT and have the Octatrack slaved to change patterns at the same time.

Well, today I fiddled in the MIDI settings on both devices to try and solve an unrelated issue with a synth and somehow screwed things up so that the OT is no longer changing patterns when the DT does it.

stop/start and midi clock still works, and my A4 (also slaved) is still switching patterns correctly. it’s just the pattern change on the OT that is no longer working.

I’ve read the manuals, scoured the web, and triple checked my settings and can’t get it back. This is driving me nuts. Can anyone take a look and see what I did wrong?

(dumping my full settings in here to save time)

Super thanks in advance for anyone who can help, I’m probably missing something obvious but I swear I feel like I’ve tried everything.

Cabling:

cables: DT midi out -> A4 MIDI in / A4 midi thru -> OT / OT midi out (to control another synth)

DT settings - MIDI sync:
clock receive OFF
clock send ON
Prog CH receive OFF
Prog CH send ON

DT settings - port config:
Out port func MIDI
Thru port func MIDI
input from MIDI+USB
output to MIDI+USB
Output ch AUTO CH
Param output CC
Encoder dest INT
Trig key DST INT
Mute dest INT
receive notes ON
receive cc ON

DT settings - channels:
(track channels set 1-16)
fx track channel OFF
auto channel 16
prog ch in ch 1
prog ch out ch 16

OT settings - MIDI control:
audio cc in ON
audio cc out INT + EXT
audio note in ON
audio note out INT + EXT

OT settings - MIDI sync:
trans send OFF
trans receive ON
clock send OFF
clock receive ON
prog ch send OFF
prog ch receive ON (CH AUTO)

OT settings - MIDI channels:
AUTO ch: 16
trig ch: 1-8 etc

Turbo status current speed x1.0, negotiate =10

It never ends.

1 Like

Could be just the chain behavior for that particular OT pattern…
Check these settings in the OT’s pattern settings menu:

1 Like

Or it could be that silly Auto Channel

1 Like

Sorry, I hate asking questions about stupid stuff like this. But I’m really at my wit’s end.

Just to be clear this has worked perfectly for WEEKS and I haven’t made any changes to the patterns themselves, just did something in MIDI settings. I thought I had switched everything back.

I still don’t quite grasp the auto channel thing.

Bummer too since this track is almost done and is kind of dope - will post it here once I get this sorted.

I’ll look at that, but the track is 8 patterns and it doesn’t seem to matter which track I’m on. manual changes on OT work fine…

Ahh, try setting the OT’s program receive channel to a specific channel and not auto…

Auto here might be different that auto channel, it just means you want the OT to choose automatically…

That’s for send but it might be the same for receive, the manual to me seems ify in this department and I haven’t tested enough to say for sure…

2 Likes

OMG THANK YOU that totally worked. I set the receive channel to 16.

Ironically I had never touched that setting before, didn’t even know how to edit that field until just now (pro tip: it’s the yes button).

OT must have “auto” decided to use a diff channel.

1 Like

It’s super confusing to have a setting for that channel as “auto” while there is also a separate unrelated “auto channel”… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s even more confusing because the manual describes the program receive section differently:

Making it seem like the actual “auto channel” is used, but I believe you just confirmed it works the same as the program send description of “auto” that I posted above…

@eangman, You may want to have a look at this and my reply two posts above…

1 Like

:clown_face:

Oddly this change also fixed the original thing I was trying to fix in the first place with my synth. When I was pressing stop or changed patterns on the DT, the patch settings on the synth were changing even though prog ch send on the OT was set to off and the only connection to the synth is the OT midi out cable.

That’s just so weird.

Not sure what was going on there, probably some logical explanation if you dig in far enough…

At least you got a double whammy fix… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmm so you are saying that the (PROG CH RECEIVE) CHANNEL parameter works exactly like the (PROG CH SEND) CHANNEL parameter? Cause they are indeed described differently in the manual…

I’m not sure if it works “exactly like” send, but it is not using the “auto channel”…

For OP this did not work:

-sending PC on channel 16 to OT
-OT set to receive PC on channel “auto”
-OT “auto channel” set to 16

But by setting OT to receive PC on channel 16, it works…

So it’s definitely not receiving on the “auto channel”…
I haven’t tested to see if the channel used is following the same logic from the (program ch send) description, I imagine it is… I can help with some further testing later, but not sure about today…

1 Like

OK, thanks for checking it out. I will make some investigation here too.

1 Like

Here is that track I was working on btw. Can’t wait until I can use the OT arranger to manage everything…

Ha!
I really like that… Keep it up! :rofl: