Midi & audio looping pedals?

Hey all

Is there anything on the market as a foot pedal which would allow me to play a polyphonic sequence on a synth , capture those midi notes, as well as audio - loop them…, then free up both my hands to tweak parameters on that looping sequence live? this would be cool as in my band I want to get in a Somo pulsar 23, run it with my peak synth and use footpedals rather than my octatrack to do audio and midi looping …

The reason I don’t just want to use my OT for all this is the OT lends itself to preprogramming and arranging in songs ahead of time and click buttons to move stuff along. I want to move more in the direction of not saving stuff but getting a midi looping setup via a pedal so I need to create songs from scratch (save for the synth patch of course!)

Thanks!

Hmm. Tricky one. Maybe a Zoia could be made to do this? It’ll definitely record and loop audio… Not sure if it’d be able to record midi live though. But it could probably be set to trigger an attached sequencer to record live midi via the same stomp button you use for audio looping.

1 Like

Or would an MPC live do both at the same time? And you could control it via a midi foot controller?

I don’t have one but A Deluge with the latest update can do audio probably midi too.

1 Like

OP have you checked out this topic?

Maybe a little helpful for achieving what you want with the OT you already have.

2 Likes

Appreciate all the replies! I spent hours last weekend testing out the live looping on OT…its tricky and easy to make mistakes I’ve found.

I found this interesting option which is really simple but powerful…plus can do 64 bars and same amount poly

2 Likes

i have been chasing midi lopers for a while and ended up with this one. back then the current firmware eventually kept me off using it as it didnt have individual track length (or only quantized to a bar?)… have to dig it up again… thanks for the reminder…
at the same time I tried to achieve the audio midi combo with the OT and gave up on it…
you could also look into the Zoia which would def allow you to patch up a combination of audio and midi - you could even have some cross talk between the 2 domains (midi sync your audio loop or vise versa)

1 Like

There’s also this one;

basically a typical OP-Z situation.

Squarp Pyramid can do live midi looping

1 Like

hey man

Ok so you actually owned this Future Artist Midi Looper? How did it handle chord progressions? Was the quantise to a bar a deal breaker?

yes, I still own it actually
I shelved it as the quantizing on whole bars did bug me indeed and I hadn’t really invested in a proper foot switch at the time. v2.2 of the firmware seems to address most qualms I had with it (it now quantizes on beats rather than bars) - I have yet to use it again though. maybe this is a good occasion to pull it up again - I do own a zoia too and would probably like to patch it so it does what the FA looper does… i remember i liked it a lot when I used it and felt there were a few missed opportunities with the firmware at the time. i then gave up on midi all together and getting back in now

edit: no active recollection how it handled polyphonic stuff, used it mainly for percussion

IIRC the MPC and Deluge can do it? 1010 Blackbox can do audio and CV, not exactly MIDI but… close?

It also has a midi Delay in its “midi effects”.
So if the synth has enough polyphony you won’t even need a delay pedal.

2 Likes

I’ve the MIDI LOOPER ordered so will post feedback here once I test it out

I liked the midi looper! very small and handy. you can record or overdub on various midi channels, and all notes will only send to the midi channel it was recorded on. so you can have 16 synths or patches looping on 1 loop…

I sold it because I bought a pyramid, which has a midi looper (a very nice one!). now I don’t use pyramid anymore, and I am back again stuck with elektron’s 4 bars… I think I’ll order the midi looper again :slight_smile:
clue of the story: never sell gear :smiley:

Yeah Deluge can do it all! Happy user here :slight_smile:

They also sell footswitches for it now to arm for recording/looping/overdubbing. You can use any midi footpedal though

1 Like

Great! Exciting times. So much gear :blush:

Just quick, deluge has how many inputs? Line level/instrument?

Thx

Only 1 stereo line input