Microwave xt

There is a guy doing custom Waldorf Q knobs on reverb I wonder if he would do a set for XTs also, I will say his method of casting I guess has some slight tolerances so I was surprised to get a bottle of nail polish with them to build up a bit inside the cap if any were loose (they were all loose) still felt worth it in the end to me… really nice feel to it

5 Likes

Too many gear purchases on my part recently, so this is just idle day dreaming on my part. One day perhaps!

I see, yes hopefully one day it’ll be yours!

That is such a beautiful Q!

I got that reverb guys custom knobs, too.

And yes, it took a good bit of nail polish to secure them.

10 Likes

The “Nearly Shadow” edition. Beautiful!

Wow look great! The nail polish thing was definitely a surprise project lol

Already posted in the Waldorf M thread (Waldorf M - #1298 by dr_laemmerbein) but this question might fit here as well: What are some interesting use cases for the wave envelope and its eight stages? I mean, sure, you can build something like a complex LFO but is there something I’m missing here? Any favourite patches that use these envelopes extensively?

whaat about that screen??? where’s that from? LEDs look great in the XT.

quick question for anyone using the xenia emulation - is it possible to run external audio to the ext input to use the chorus/aliasing, etc? the mixer has the external input, but not quite sure how to use it…

absolutely fantastic synth though, have been stuck on it for a while now while i save up for an xt

There’s a separate fx version of Xenia for running audio though the fx.

2 Likes

thanks! i was able to get this running and stems are sounds glorious through the chorus/fx. just had to route my midi sequencer to the additional midi i/o in the arp/fx menu to trigger the amp env. highly recommended

2 Likes

little update for xt lovers -

finally got my hands on one. got a great price at $1000 for a 10 voice since the nextel paint was really dry and nasty and the knobs were crumbling just looking at them. if anyone runs into the same issue, a few passes of a light shampoo wash really did wonders and there’s a guy on reverb selling high quality replicas of the knobs in the us.

might be the best synth i’ve ever used. i’ve been using xenia xt for a while and it sounds great and has made it onto a bunch of releases, but i was always disappointed with the filters. i would usually bypass them and just use ableton filters. i’m not a big “but the dacs” guy, but goddamn the filters on the xt are night and day compared to xenia. every model sounds great, and the sin(x) and s&h are mind blowing.

there’s something so beautiful and emotive about the ‘digital failure’ of this synth, reminds me always of the crumbling wavetable vocal bits in this erp track - just perfect for scifi techno and electro. i had a protein before and loved it, and this is several steps above that. hope everyone who dreams about this synth gets a chance to try one.

also - would love some more tips on using the wave envelope if anyone has some good pointers. yes, i’ve read the manual and been all over the carbon site :sob:

11 Likes

I had the xt and I loved it - the dubchord you could create on this synth were full and rich and the movement I could put in the chord was quite unique - I used if for dubtechno and ambient

btw Gerard does not have a Waldorf XT :grinning:

1 Like

I found out the other day that the lovely synth part from Born Slippy is Microwave along with a Juno 60.

3 Likes

Love the XT. I owned a MW2 but the hands on of the XT takes it to another level as I discovered when I borrowed my friends. Some of my favourite pads came
from the XT

Re Xenia filters, they are exact filters as in the XT, are you saying the XT’s dacs bring them alive?