Microphone to connect to sampler?

Just discovered this thread - and just ordered a Zoom H6 this morning with exactly the same intent as you describe.
Give me a few days to try it out and I’ll be happy to share my experience.

1 Like

Hello!
Looking for mic which I can use for sampling and live improvisations. What I really want is that it must work without external preamp because my music box is already big :slight_smile:
I was trying Rode M3, it has internal preamp, but the output level is low for A4. I have to yell to hear something in my speakers.

Are there another solutions?

do you use an iPhone or iPad?

the Apogee MiC works and you can run the line out from your phone into whatever you want

…actually, it probably works with windows/android, too, but i never looked into that angle

edit: this pedal works for me. i needed to get a mic signal hotter to use with the micro granny and this did the trick:

https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Guitar/Stompboxes/BONAFIDE-BUFFER/p/P0CLK

1 Like

PZM mics can be cool.

1 Like

Been discussed recently re octatrack

No great solutions if I remember…

1 Like

Iphone would work. I just got a zoom h6 ( you said you don’t want a recorder but a proper mic with amp will cost anyway ) and it’s the best decision i made alongside getting a digitakt :sunglasses:

1 Like

I haven’t tried it but I have the recorders and they sound very good indeed. If this is close, you should be fine! Just use the line out of the mic into the DT and you’re set.

1 Like

Well, that’s the thing. mics output a very different impedance than what line level inputs would like to see at their input. This is exactly what a mic preamp does, it supplies the needed circuitry for the intefacing to ”make sense” to each other ( mike -> line level input )

There are pretty small mic pres out there, stuff like Eventide mixing link, pedal sized stuff exists that does the job.

2 Likes

Like it, thanks!

I don’t know if it has been mentioned, and it’s not directly connected but… if you own an iPhone, there are different zoom mics that connect via lighning port and are super cheap (used)… then you just connect headphone out of the zoom to the DT :slight_smile:

I bought an older model - iq5:

cost me 30 dollars used… super plasticky, not the best feel - but it’s extremely small, allows me to edit and/or manipulate recordings with apps, send them to my iPad via AirDrop, etc…
I can also record video with cellphone camera with better audio

there are newer models with different characteristics, and better build quality

EDIT: I now realize that it’s been suggested just a few hours ago, hehe

@mzero if you own an iPhone/iPad this might be perfect for you!

2 Likes

I have an AKG D5 (dynamic mic) connected directly to my Digitakt and that works very well.

2 Likes

hi guys. so just to be clear… i have a rode nt2a and i’d like to record some sounds around the house directly into the digitakt. am i understanding correctly, that to make this work i would need a phantom power source/adapter between the two, or should i just consider a new mic just for this? i love the nt2a so hoping to make it work without moving my mixer around too.

You need phantom power for that one which the Digitakt doesn’t provide. I’d suggest a dynamic mic, which would be plug and play. The Audix OM6 would be a great choice for a dynamic.

3 Likes

50€/$ and you are set:
http://artproaudio.com/mic_preamps/product/tube_mp-original/

1 Like

nice one thanks!

without any preamp?

yes no preamps needed for a dynamic mic. it’s plug and play/sing/rap :slight_smile: A good cheaper alternative is the AKG D5.

1 Like

Yeah I second 1 of these. I have a Shure sm58 (dynamic mic), I paid $80 for it & I like it more than my $300 condenser mic sometimes.

BUT… I also have a Tascam Dr-40 (you can get a Tascam Dr-05 for the price of a dynamic mic at $99), you shouldn’t need a pre-amp for it, you can record sounds out in the field / found sounds, record rhymes while your driving, record whatever the hell you want where ever the hell you want, then sample it into the Digitakt (or just use it like a regular mic). The mic’s on the Dr-40 are pretty nice, I was impressed, they can def amplify sound as well, plus you can use it for a lot of other things, even recording live beats from the Digitakt into it.

1 Like

I use a Rode NT1-A with Artcessories Phantom III. Works great!!

Will a Røde M3 work? It has battery slots for Phantom Power…