Microcosm | Hologram Electronics

I hope they demo with some drum sounds, ready to jump on the preorder but wondering if it will smear transients on glitch drum sounds

For the Stereo in/out perhaps, but based on the above demo I personally wouldnā€™t buy the Microcosm over Mood. I really want to love the Hologram gear but thereā€™s something about the quality of the fx algorithms I donā€™t much like. But I do like the sound of the Reverb on the Microcosm, from that initial demo anyway.

1 Like

I also have a MOOD.

Iā€™m looking at Microcosm as a partner for MOOD and other pedals, though. Not as a replacement.

Itā€™ll take me some time and a spreadsheet to figure out whether I get this or Blooper.

5 Likes

So on the fence with this one, looking at the website more it looks like you have 4 variations of each effect, but no adjustments. Wonder how quickly the same pattern on a glitch FX would get boring. Need to see one actually being used I guess.

I know martin pas (Torino) is distributing the brand ā€¦

Unless that activity knob variates the preset patterns :thinking:
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/74428b_f3c12cf9004645b08cdbfc7a609b2e1d~mv2.png/v1/fill/w_480,h_330,al_c,q_90,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/74428b_f3c12cf9004645b08cdbfc7a609b2e1d~mv2.webp

1 Like

Looking forward to more demos. I once went into a store determined to walk out with either a Hologram Dream Sequence or Infinite Jets for my bass and walked out with neither. I really want to love their stuff, especially the Microcosm, but Iā€™m going in with some trepidation

Yeah I was about to preorder and then this Elektron new news popped up. I think Iā€™ll wait to see what this pedal can do past 2 sec snippets of the FX engines. I will be using it with the DT.
At the top of my FX for the DT list right now though

1 Like

Yeah, I guess they could be partners too.
Iā€™ve listen video after, and itā€™s true mood adds a special texture that maybe microcosm havenā€™t got.

Iā€™m finding a lot of potential for using MOOD with the band, because itā€™s an ā€œalways listeningā€ sampling pedal. With the recording time set to a short value, MOOD is useful for jamming.

Microcosm and Blooper look better suited to solo music with some preparation in advance.

1 Like

I was thinking along the same lines (I own a Mood as well)

Does anyone know if thereā€™s resampling? It seems like no, but that would be huge.

I believe, sort of. From what I understand, is that you can use the granular type controls along with the other fx, and then if you get something you like, you can loop that, and you can store that loop for later.

This is from the site "When youā€™ve found a sound you like, the built-in stereo phrase looper can capture up to 60 seconds of your performance and even allows for layering phrases from different effects. All loops, overdubs, and settings can be saved and recalled later using the pedalā€™s 16 user presets. "

But as for how deep you can go with actually re-sampling, like you would with a sampler I do not know.

Right, it seems like all of the effect settings are stored in the preset, so youā€™re still just manipulating the original audio that comes in. It seems to me like thereā€™s no actual flattening and resampling.

I mean itā€™s definitely able to mangle hard AF as is and I donā€™t like to focus on what things canā€™t do, but it would be nice.

Right, I do wonder what you can do with a loop after it is captured.

I bought a special edition Mood about a month ago (have since sold it). The Microcosm looks like it is everything I was hoping the Mood would be. The Mood was very cool, but it being mono kinda killed it for me (I knew it was mono when I bought it) since it was mainly for synth use.

I am in the same boat. I still have a Mood, but it doesnā€™t get as much use because it is mono.

Iā€™ve been trying to prod Joel into making some stereo versions of his pedals.

3 Likes