Micro-timing all trigs in pattern at once

Hello co-nauts,

Couldn’t find this in the Digitakt manual or on the forum: is is possible to do a micro-timing shift to all trigs in one pattern at once? I can hold several trigs at once and use the arrow keys, but when you have a busy, 64-step pattern, it can be quite a hassle.

You can’t do this on any of the Elektrons, you can only nudge all the trigs one full step at a time either way, nothing global can be done to micro-timing - it’s just possible as you have described for held trigs

2 Likes

Ahh that’s too bad. But thank you!

1 Like

if you want to microtime all the trigs the same way you could re-sample and add silence to the beginning, instead of using the microtiming feature (may not be quite what you want, but can also lead to other cool things)

Haven’t thought of that, sounds good. Also instead of the silence I could micro-time the 1 trig with the resample for finer adjustment. Well, either way should work!

yeah, mainly just a way to save some work if it’s not necessary - not sure exactly what your goals are so my suggestion may or may not be very helpful - don’t forget it is easy to duplicate trigs, or copy a particular page of a pattern (so if bars 2-4 are identical to bar 1 you don’t have to do much extra work)

starting a sample with silence will make the envelope interaction a bit weird if you start messing with the envelope on your re-sampled sample, but depending on what you’re trying to achieve it could save a lot of button presses, and maybe even lead to something new. Often I quite like the random bit of silence on the beginning of a random sample - I’ve destroyed more than one groove by thoughtlessly editing start points before :zonked:

1 Like

Haha, sometimes the unexpected can give you the best results. :wink: Playing with silence (sounds like a great song title) seems nice to experiment with, I’ll try that out. In this case the sounds (claps and percussion) were not placed on the same steps per bar, but I did want to give them a little push forward for a more ‘swinging’ result.

Adding silence only allows micro timing changes via start point in 1 direction timing wise.( they would only trigger lateIf adding space)

If you want to be able to move the sound forwards and backwards you’ll need to nudge the actual triggers as far left/right as possible to get full range.
Ithink it’d be left(early) on the step , to give full range .

And if course you can lfo the start point for more human feel , just be cautious so that the range doesn’t cut off the actual beginning of the sample.

But for full range (1 full step?) you could use Function + arrow keys to move all trigs at the same time instead of micro-timing them (if that is what you mean :slight_smile: ). For me it was about a small fraction only.

If you chose to use ‘empty space in sample’ method for all steps , to get the most range out if it you’d need to also initially setup micro timing to be tweaked to the left most value.
The ‘fine tuning’ of the timing is then down to sample start point . I haven’t looked into the maths but I guess it’s a higher resolution to microtiming on the step.

If you also use this principal for bass , synth , acid loops etc , it allows quite odd timing changes by altering 1 parameter per sample.

To be honest , after the novelty of getting this to work , it’s much easier to just go back to normal and keep things simple.

2 Likes

You can do this on a Yamaha RS-7000, but it’s a chunky old machine at this point. It’s like a bastard child of a 90s groovebox, an MPC, an 80s VCR, and a bag of cement. I’m still never getting rid of mine though. 14 years of unrecorded songs in that thing.

2 Likes

“an 80s VCR, and a bag of cement”

Haha, had to look that one up. Looks fantastic :+1: