Micro Freak midi out to OT In

Well, 8 years after selling my OT I’ve just bought a new MkII. I bought it sequence and sample my new Micro Freak bit I’ve hit a problem. The Freak uses a negative tip jack and I’m able to invert the polarity of the OT midi out by using the Cycles in between.

I want to be able to play the keyboard on the Freak and record the midi on the OT but it is not receiving, I assume as the polarity is reversed? Are there solutions anyone has come across or suggestions… I do have a Samples that I can stick in the chain to invert but I want to sell this soon.

Thanks for your time…

Wayne.

You just need a dongle that is wired to the standard that microfreak uses. I think it’s type B. Unfortunately, there are two “standards” for minijack midi.

1 Like

Someone on the forum suggested using a minijack-to-phono adaptor and then a phono-to-minijack extension, and swap the polarity where the phono connectors meet.

The alternatives are to buy or make an actual Type B MIDI adaptor, or perform surgery on the Type À adaptor that you have.

1 Like

OT midi out… don’t you mean OT midi IN? if you’re trying to control the OT with the microfreak you should make sure you’re sending on the correct midi channel and that your audio tracks are set to receive midi. best case would be to set your auto channel on the octatrack and the output channel on the freak to the same channel say 10 for example then whatever track audio or midi you have selected on the octatrack will be played by the micofreak.

Also note that there’s only a 2 octave range that the OT Audio Tracks responds to. See the midi implementation on the latest OT manual to see what key range you should be playing in from the freak. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

that should not matter if you use an Arturia dongle though !

3 Likes

Doh! I was using the Elektron supplied midi to mini jack dongles - such a basic mistake :roll_eyes:
Thanks for the swift and useful replies everyone. I’m now ready to burn through my two week vacation time…

4 Likes