MFB Tanzbär Mk1

Reviews seem good.

Anybody got one or used one.

Anygood??

Cheers

very intriguing piece of gear isn’t it? bummer the chaps at MFB are as good at presenting it as they are good at web design…

I think Dancing Bear is good. Some people compared it to the Vermona DRM.

Sounds quite different the DRM1 MKIII. But you can get similar 2 layer kicks out of the Tanzbar using both kick channels.

I have the DRM1 but might get the Tanzbar & layer both together in the studio for designing sounds. Then maybe use the Tanzbar live due to being more portable (about the same size as an Elektron).

the tanzbar is like a 909, 606, 808 hybrid. sort of sounds like those but it has its own sound. when you run it through pedals the sound is fantastic. It has some really cool features like live roll and tons of tweaking pram. great Plock type of function.

here is a Techno tracks I just made with only the tanzbar and pedals.

The Smack

The Rat

also here is a Two kick combo recording its not really musical. just a demo recording of layering BD1 and 2. the bd 1 is the attack, the bd2 is the body.

kick combo

2 Likes

Thanks Peoplemuyer, been eager to hear more of the Tanzbar in use. Sounds great

Thanks Jamrod

heres another track with the tanzbar plus A4

https://soundcloud.com/kawa/laceration

free for download.
gear used:
Elektron analog 4 - acid line and chord/reverb
MFB Tranzbar- Drums
Moog MoogerFooger Cluster flux- used on the high hats/cymbols of the tanzbar
Tenori-on- used to control the tanzbar for drum/rolls mostly when switching patterns
Mutli track recorded into ableton with RME Fireface.

Tanzbar in these little noodles:

https://soundcloud.com/smokyfrog/backinthefold

https://soundcloud.com/smokyfrog/thelittlebarr

nice to hear tanzbar in some other tracks thanks ! cool stuff

i can’t vouch for i am an owner of a dancing bear too…
it’s great… it’s very retro and limited… i MF love it!

I recently picked one up second hand and I really, really love it. Comparisons to 606/808/909 are understandable, given the circuitry. I’ve only ever owned a 606, so I can’t really make a super valid comparison.

I can say that it sounds beautiful and has a lot of personality. Whether that personality is borrowed from another machine, I don’t know, though. Who cares anyway?

Mine seems to have a problem with the bass track, though (CV2/3). It only produces a faint little buzzing sound, no matter how I set the data knob. It seems to be a malfunction. I’ve emailed MFB, so we’ll see.

Even without that working, it’s loads of fun and incredibly useful and easy.

here is a 30min demo of the tanzbär and the volca beats. dub techno style
https://soundcloud.com/housewarez/tanzbarvolcabeatsot

cool sounds good housewarez !

Right so I thought that looks brilliant i will get one.

Got it, the thing sounds amazing. I was easily able to get 808, 606 and 909. Not breaking the mould I know but to my old man taste.

Thing is though after a week of using it im sort of sick of looking at it. Its been irritating me because it cost so much. The build quality of the thing is terrible. Really is quite shite and for that money it should be a lot better. Also for me personally it was supposed to be purely for improv at home (as its all I do) but the machines footprint is actually very small and its not at all good for hands on tweakery.

I have for this reason sent it back. If your thinking of getting one do try and see one first. I believe the build quality will put a lot off.

Just gonna use Volca beats with OT instead. Yeah the Volca beats will be limited sound wise compared to Tanzbar (although the OT will give it mileage) but for me the “over priced” dancing bear should have been a lot more solid.

Interesting. That’s the first time I’ve heard anyone say that about the build quality. Most people seem pleased that it’s better build than their standard plastic kit boxes they use (e.g. 503, 522 etc.).

What exactly do you not like about the build?

I was a mouse-click away from buying one myself- but I worried the same thing that happened to you would happen to me: it would end up being a $1200 box I used to give analog flavor to my percussion, and it wouldn’t end up being the perfect Elektron companion sequencer.

I can spend 1/3 of that on various modules (a Beats, a MFB 522/503, etc) and get essentially the same utility I would out of the Tanz.

I’m sure it’s amazing and I don’t think it’s a bad buy for everyone- just for me.

You could consider the Sonic Potions LXR … built mine in a day a few weeks ago and it partners perfectly with the OT & A4 for drums. I just didn’t want to use up multiple electron tracks for drum hits, particularly the A4’s.
Couldn’t find a cheap enough 2nd hand MPC500 and the Tanzbar was just too expensive.

Possible future update will allow you to add your own samples to it (rather than the existing internal samples) besides the 6 drum synths on the 7 voices.

Being digital it won’t meet the Tanzbar analog standard, but to my ear it sounds very good. The sequencer and performance modes seem very well thought out (though it is my first dedicated synth-based drum machine). It’s very quick to get good patterns built up into something interesting and tweak away as they play.

It looks like the A4 & OT’s illicit lovechild

Yes it’s looking like an LXR+MBase/Kick Lancet+Mbrane/522 for me. Last I checked there weren’t any kits. I’ll look again

I have owned a 522 in the passed and the build of the Tanzbär is no different except for the fact that its got end cheeks. Overall footprint is bigger, but not big enough (for me anyway) I expected a little more for the cost.

My first impression of the unit after unboxing was how cheap it looked.

i’ve got a tanzbär and love it.
i’ve also go a volca beats and love it.
i’ve also got an ot and i love it.
don’t know what your standards are for build quality but if you went for the volca beats instead of the tanzbär then… whateva.
no real need to rant.
besides you only had it for a few days.
not really pushing yourself to try it. maybe 100 hours or more.

1 Like